My stomach twisted, "That was when I was still a Sun Summoner." I managed. The Darkling looked over his shoulder, "I couldn't use it now.." I said before shaking my head, "No," I said. "I don't want this."

"I don't want this." the Darkling mocked. "I want your tracker friend to die slowly with my knife in his heart. I want to let the sea swallow you and Alina whole. But our fates are intertwined now, Freya, and there's nothing either of us can do about it." The Darkling said.

"You're mad." I hissed. "I know it pleases you and Alina to think so," he said. "But the amplifiers must be brought together. If we have any hope of controlling the fold."

"You can't control the fold. And as I said I can't help do shit anymore because you have my power." My knuckles tightened at the sides.

"Careful, Freya," he said with a slight smile. "I've had the same thought about you." He gestured to Ivan, who was waiting a respectful distance away. "Bring me Alina and the boy."

My heart leaped in my throat. "Wait," I said. "You told me you wouldn't hurt them." He ignored me. Like a fool, I looked around. As if anyone on this saint-forsaken ship would hear my appeal. Sturmhond stood by the wheel, watching us, his face impassive.

I snatched at the Darkling's sleeve. "We had a deal. I haven't done anything. You said—" The Darkling looked at me with cool eyes, and the words died on my lips. A moment later, Ivan appeared with Alina and Mal in tow and steered them over to the rail. 

The two stood before us, squinting in the sunlight, hands bound. It was the closest we'd been in weeks. Alina looked paler and she had bags under her eyes, it was obvious she hadn't been sleeping. And Mal was no better, but at least he looked like he could withstand.

I saw the questions in their wary expressions, but I had no answer. "Alright tracker," the Darkling said. "Track."

Mal glanced at me and then the Darkling, "Track what? We're in the middle of the ocean."

"Alina once told me you could make rabbits out of rocks. I questioned the crew of the Verrhader myself, and they claim that you're just as capable at sea. They seemed to think you could make some lucky captain very rich with your expertise." Mal frowned, "You want me to hunt whales?"

"No," said the Darkling, "I want you to hunt the sea whip." Alina stared up at the Darkling with panic written on her face. Mal laughed, "You're looking for a dragon?"

"The ice dragon," said the Darkling. "Rusalye."

"What for?" Mal asked warily. Alina and I exchanged glances from across one another, "are you okay?" I mouthed. Alina beamed silently and nodded, "are you okay?" she asked back.

"I once promised Freya I'd find her the sea whip," said the Darkling. Alina's eyes narrowed, she didn't believe he was getting it for me, but neither did I.

Mal looked back to me, "If you think getting this amplifier will get them to trust you again, you must be insane." The Darkling laughed, "I think they're feelings about me were established when they left the Little Palace."

Mal peered out at the waves. "I wouldn't know where to start." The Darkling looked at Alina, "For her sake, I hope that's not true." the Darkling pulled a slender knife from the folds of his kefta. "Because every day we don't find the sea whip, I'll peel away a piece of her skin. Slowly. Then Ivan will heal her, and the next day, we'll do it all over again."