xiv. small piece of forgiveness

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

They were all grouped in Thyra and Beocca's shared home, Hild graced them with her presence as they spoke. Luna was sitting on the floor with the twins as she used the wooden rattle that Sihtric made to play with them, they squirmed on the fur cloak Finan gave her and giggled as their mom tickled them. Her husbands watched them with a soft look while Uhtred grew sad at the sight, he regretted everything he had done and wished he could take it back.

"It could be months before Edward's king, by then the Danes will be marching." Finan spoke softly as he leaned over to watch.

"Alfred will be gone much sooner, even than one month. It will be days." Beocca corrected.

"Then there's the argument, for want of a better word. Edward is not every Saxon's choice for king." Hild added bluntly and smiled at the twins.

"Judging by the cackle in the alehouse, Edward is not any man's choice." Finan says as Hild looks at Thyra in concern, the Abbess approaches the Dane woman. Luna looked at the woman in worry as she handed Uhtred her daughter and Sihtric their son, Uhtred looked surprised at the action and immediately relaxed into his chair as he cradled the child.

"Men are saying what?"

"Edward looks like a woman's arse. And you are here to kill him." Sihtric spoke with an amused tinge in his voice and leaned down to kiss his son's head.

"News of your pardon will change what people say. Thyra?" The man says seeing Luna hug the Dane woman as she cries and Hild rubs her back, he approaches his wife in concern.

"Thyra, what is it? Why the tears?" She glanced around before telling the men and the women what happened. Not long after, Beocca marched angrily with Uhtred and his boys following along. Thyra asked to watch the twins to forget the cruelty and Luna permitted her, Thyra was not one to harm people.

"Maybe you should let me speak to this man." Uhtred said to his father figure. Luna felt both of her husbands grab one of her hands as they walked, she knew the Christians were disgusted and jealous of them.

"I'm quite capable. She's my wife."

"Yes, but you have a temper." Uhtred stated as they walked.

"As do you, Uhtred." She spoke with a teasing tone and Uhtred smiled softly at her. He wasn't sure why she was allowing him these small pieces of forgiveness but he wouldn't trade it for the world.

"I do, and it's up. Tidman! I'm looking for a rat named Tidman! Are you Tidman?" Beocca asked as he looked at a man drinking ale. "I asked are you Tidman?"

"Father Beocca, good morning, and Uhtred, free man of Wessex." Aethelwold said as he walked out of the house.

"I'm looking for a man named Tidman does the coward belong to you?"

"He does not." Aethelwold spoke.

"I am not a coward. What is it you want, priest?" The man who was drinking stood.

"What I want, oaf, is for you to heed my warning. Speak to or go near my wife again and I shall beat the shit from you." Beocca threatened as he moved closer.

"Oh, well said."

"It is a promise." Beocca snapped at the one-eyed Saxon without looking away from Tidman.

"I called your woman a Dane, is that...is that not what she is?"

"Have you not understood me? You don't appear to be the cleverest of men." Beocca said and Tidman glared at him.

"Do you speak to me as a man or a priest?" Just as Tidman asks Beocca headbutts him and proceeds to punch him when the man collapses. Luna grinned at the sight of Beocca defending his woman, she felt Sihtric let go of her to help Uhtred.

"Does that answer your question? Does that answer your question? I do not hide beneath these robes!" Beocca shouted as Uhtred and Sihtric pulled him away.

"Beocca, enough! No more!"

"Bastard! She's a woman! A gentle woman and she's suffered enough." Beocca snarled as Uhtred and Sihtric released him. Beocca shoved past the two Danes to move close to the Saxon. "I'm warning you once. I'm calm, I am calm now." Beocca said as Uhtred patted his shoulder, Tidman started to stand and Beocca lunged.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey, hey!" Uhtred and his men all shout as they grab him. Sihtric chuckled with a wide smile as Beocca punched the guy one last time. Luna felt Finan wrap an arm around her in amusement, she glanced at the man with a playful smile.

"I am calm. This rotten air that fills Winchester is due to you and the likes of you. England is a land for all tribes who wish to settle and live in peace. Your father would be ashamed of you." Beocca snapped as he looked at Aethelwold, he then walked away in anger.

"Go follow him." Uhtred ordered Sihtric and Osferth, Sihtric kissed her briefly and followed his friend.

"I fear the priest does not like me."

"No man likes you, Aethelwold. Your soul is as scarred as your face." Uhtred stated with a glare.

"Pluck his other eye, Uhtred. Maybe he will learn to stay out of things that do not concern him." Luna claimed with a smirk as she placed her hand on his wrist.

"Courtesy of my uncle Alfred in his mercy." Aethelwold said as a joke and then looked at one another in silence.

"Why are you here? Do you still dream you can be king?"

"It is my home and I will not move. This is a land I love. Can you say the same?" Aethelwold taunted as Finan stood up.

"Ah, Uhtred, I am tired of listening to this squirrel's arse." Finan said with a tired sigh.

"Let me offer you a cup of ale. Come inside and sit with me. Let me convince you, I am for a Wessex. Hear me, please." Uhtred and Finan share a look as they begin to walk away, Uhtred pauses with a look of contemplation, he motioned for Finan and Luna as they follow Aethelwold in while Finan sighs.