xxiii. ale and sleep

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Luna and Sihtric had separated from the group once they reached Winchester, she was exhausted and the babies had become restless. Finan had bought a room for the night and she thanked him with a kiss, Sihtric offered to stay and watch the twins. Finan and Luna knew it had more to do with him abandoning them for Uhtred's plan. Neither refused him the chance to bond with the twins.

Luna was asleep the moment she laid down and Sihtric covered her up with his fur cloak, Sihtric gently climbed into the bed with the twins in each arm. He rocked them slowly when they started to wake up and he kissed both of their foreheads, he laughed quietly when Torunn smacked Sihtric's face and Tormund kicked her leg in retaliation.

He vowed to never abandon them again, he would rather die. He was going to be the best father he could be and hoped he wouldn't fail them or his wife.

"However, there is a slight problem. Osferth is a virgin." Finan says as he and Osferth sit at a table, a whore sat next to Osferth as Luna and Sihtric walk up with the twins. Finan had refused every woman that came up to him, he was a one-woman kind of man. Finan reached out for his son and smiled when he gazed down at him.

"No, it's not true." Osferth defends himself.

"It's true. It's true. It's true! You need to do it sometime." They all laugh at the table as Osferth frowns in embarrassment, Luna lays her head on Sihtric's shoulder as she plays with their daughter who giggles at her when Luna begins to wiggle her fingers.

"Are you surprised to see me, Father?" Finan asked with a grin as he noticed the holy man, Beocca gave him a blank look.

"Where is he?"

"He was last seen with a pagan witch at Coccham, and I don't mean the Abbess Hild. Do you have a message for him?" Finan said looking at him and rocking his child gently as he spoke.

"He knows that his children are safe." Aethelwold listens in subtly.

"He knows they were taken, he was not pleased." Finan corrected as Beocca sat down, the priest smiled down at the twins before growing serious again.

"Is he here? You know I will not summon the guards. Is he here?" Finan rubs his beard and hesitates for a moment. He looks to his wife who gives him the confirmation he needs.

"He is. Now you can tell me why Aethelwold is walking the streets of Winchester as a free man?"  Finan asked annoyed.

"Because rightly or wrongly, he has been forgiven, as I believe Uhtred will be forgiven. Tell him to find me." Finan leans in slightly as Luna scoffed.

"Everyone is forgiven but Uhtred. That is nothing new." Luna speaks and smirks when the older man scowls.

"Um, I think he may well be sitting at your table, Father." Beocca stands and leaves. Not long after, Sihtric and Osferth see Aethelwold and his men on a mission.

"Come on." Sihtric says and takes off running into the crowd. Luna sits at the table with the twins and Osferth decides to stay to protect them while her husbands confronts the Saxon rat.

"A problem we can help resolve here?" Finan calls out as he and the men gather behind Aethelwold. He would much rather be with his wife and twins.

"It is a minor disagreement, that is all, involving a minor Ealdorman." Pyrlig says with amusement.

"Sigebriht, send for Steapa and the king's guard. Tell him we have all but captured Uhtred Ragnarsson." Aethelwold says smugly.

"You believe Uhtred is inside my house?" Beocca asked with an amused look.

"I do."

"You are ever the fool." Beocca stated making the Saxon scowl.

"Beocca."

"Stay inside, my dear." Beocca spoke as Thyra walked to him.

"Beocca, I have been listening. If these men wish to look inside our home, then we should allow it. We have nothing to hide, nothing at all. Please, come inside, Aethelwold." Thyra said as she motioned for them to go inside, they kicked open the door dramatically.

"Come on." Finan says in amusement.

"Are you satisfied? I asked, are you satisfied?" Beocca asked in annoyance as he was ignored.

"You have my sincere apologies, father, lady."

"He was here, I can smell him." Aethelwold says in frustration, Finan smirks at the man as he leans against the door. Sihtric patted the Irishman on the back as he left to go back to Luna.

"Will we see you at the wedding, lords?" Finan questioned smugly as Aethelwold shoved past them. He cackled at the disgruntled male and winked at Beocca playfully as he followed after Sihtric to join Luna.