4 Years Later

What happens when the story is over? What comes once the final chapter is written? After the last scene? When the hero walks into the sunset what becomes of them? Is a happy ending really a happy ending?

Some would say yes. Few would say no.

4 years ago, a story came to an end. A young girl was sent to a world of her greatest dreams a desire, she learned of a sinister truth. She was able to free the souls of captured children and stop the dastardly being.

She hauled the heavy planks back over the old and forgotten well, covering the best she could. She didn't want anything to fall in, or anything to get out. That night the girl laid in bed. Now that the hand was gone she had opened her window wide. Her new school clothes were laid out carefully on a chair.

Normally, she would be nervous about the start of the first day of term but, she realized she fancied she could hear sweet music on the night air. Only the kind of music that could be played on the tiniest silver instruments. She imagined that she was back again in her dream with the three children.

As the first stars came out, the girl finally allowed herself to drift to sleep while the upstairs music of the mouse circus spilled out onto the warm evening air, telling the world that summer was almost done.

This was the end of the story, but this was the beginning of the nightmares.

???: AHHHH!

The girl, now older, awoke from a restless slumber, air quickly leaving her lungs as her cords belted a symphony of endless terror. She was quick to cover her mouth and hold the rest in. Her eyes darted to the door to see if anyone would come. A moment passed, then two. She let out a sigh when she realized no one would be running in. Good thing, too, since she hated to be seen in her nightwear.

???: Nice one, Coraline. Almost woke the entire house....again.

She gave herself some time to gather her composure before slipping out of bed

She gave herself some time to gather her composure before slipping out of bed. Her hair was a mess, her tank top strap was hanging off of her shoulder, drool stuck to her cheek, and her eyes were most likely bloodshot. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled.

Coraline: But you look great.

She clicked her tounge and pointed at her reflection before she went to get ready for the day.

Wybue: What'cha reading?

Wybie approached the bench his friend was lounging on.

The gardens of the Pink Palace were a sight to behold ever since the Jones had moved in and the grounds currently reflected the sun's cheer in autumn hues of red and gold. He smirked as he noticed how his friend clashed with the scenery, her bright pink sweater and green stockings offering a bold contrast.

Coraline looked up from the handful of fliers with a grimace and a shrug.

Coraline: Nightmares.