TWENTY-TWO ─ [ . : 。✿ ] red rose

Start from the beginning

As had been the case for the past couple weeks, all her roommates were already downstairs in the kitchen when she walked in. She hadn't thought too much about this behavior, but for them it was very intentional. They used the hour or so before (Y/N) typically got up to discuss her: how she seemed to be doing, how she'd handle what was coming, and how best to go about their plan to minimize the damage it would cause her.

"Good morning, guys," she greeted with a smile. She was clearly in a good mood, mostly because she was excited about seeing Jasper, Matteo, and Ivy for the first time in what felt like ages.

"Good morning!" Lori chirped. That adorable smile on (Y/N)'s face never failed to make Lori feel like she was floating. She couldn't imagine a life without (Y/N) and her vibrant warmth now. It felt like loving her was all she'd ever known. And she didn't want to know anything else. "I made you coffee!" She slid the coffee mug across the counter to her roommate.

(Y/N) thanked her, and took a long sip.

"You look cute today," Aziza commented, noting her roommate's attire as something more likely to be for going out.

"You look cute every day," Naoki added with a wink.

Although he was being sincere underneath his typical flirtatious mannerisms, (Y/N) didn't pick up on that. As per usual. She chuckled softly. "Thanks, Naoki," she said. "I can always count on you to boost my ego."

"Are you planning on going somewhere?" Elijah continued Aziza's original point.

(Y/N) hummed. "Yep! I'm going back to work today!" She beamed. She didn't notice the subtle glances they exchanged with one another. "Time off was good, and I'm glad I got caught up on my rest, but I think I'm ready."

"Are you sure...?" Silas started hesitantly. They'd all agreed that it was better for (Y/N) to stay home willingly for as long as possible. Although they were ready and willing to use a little more force, it wasn't something any of them wanted to do unless absolutely necessary.

(Y/N) saw a familiar worry creeping into each of their gazes, and smiled gently. "I know you guys want me to take care of myself, but I'm really feeling a lot better," she assured them. "I'm all rested up, and honestly I think working again would be really good for me." She set the coffee mug down on the counter. "It's not like I can stay home forever, y'know?" She chuckled.

"We just..." Lori paused. "We're not sure you're ready yet." She looked to her roommates for support.

"We think it'd be best if you stayed home. Just for another week or so," Elijah continued for her.

All of them were staring at her so intently. There was that little pinprick in the pit of her stomach again. A little harder to ignore than before, but still easy enough to swallow back. "Guys, I appreciate the concern. It's very sweet, but..." She shifted on her feet a little. "I really am doing much better. I haven't had any nightmares the past few nights, and I'm not nauseous anymore."

"We know," Naoki smiled weakly. "And that's great, really. We... we just want to make sure you're safe."

(Y/N) furrowed her brows slightly, not understanding their resistance to this idea. "I'm not walking to work anymore, you don't have to worry."

"A─And we're glad," Silas replied, feeling his hands shake slightly. This really wasn't easy on him. He could see that she was getting uncomfortable, and that was the last thing any of them wanted to do, but... they couldn't risk her safety. As their obsession with her deepened and darkened, their paranoia of the outside world grew exponentially. They didn't trust anyone outside of this room not to hurt her. And the thought of anyone causing her even the smallest bit of harm made them physically sick. Silas didn't want it to be like this. But it had to be. "But... driving to work isn't enough... We just──  we can't let anything happen to you."