Chapter Twenty Five - All The Pieces Crumbling Apart

Start from the beginning

When he pulls back, he nods at me.

"I'll try to come see you tomorrow. I'll message you later tonight, okay?" I smile and nod in return, kissing his cheek before he goes to take off.

Before he leaves he quickly darts back, pulling me in for a surprisingly passionate last minute kiss. My eyes flutter shut, relishing in his touch and the feel of his soft lips against mine. His taste and scent lulling me into a peaceful daze.

"Bye, Princess." He smirks, but it doesn't quick reach his eyes. He's stressed out beyond belief, and that breaks my heart.

"Bye Kitty." I watch as he takes off, leaving me behind. I'll let him get away before I transform and follow after him.

"Ready, Tikki?" I ask my Kwami, smiling at her as I mentally prepare for the patrol ahead of us. Patrols are usually the most fun, freedom to just swing around and let the night soothe me. As long as Hawkmoth doesn't attack tonight, nothing will go wrong.

I really wish we knew when he's going to strike, or what his plan even is.

"As read as I'll ever be." She responds, her eyes snapping towards the hatch leading into my room.

"Marinette?" My mom calls, emerging from the hatch with a small smile. I quickly check but Tikki has already swiftly hidden herself.

"Yes, mom?" I ask, impatiently looking between her and the clock. I really gotta leave soon, I told Chat Noir I'd meet up with him around 10:30pm. That's in 7 minutes from now.

"We're having some snacks and watching a movie. I'd really like it if you joined us for once, honey. We hardly see you anymore these days."

"I'm really busy mom, I'm sorry. I'll join you next time." I try my best to ignore the crack in my heart at the way her face changes. She looks sad and frustrated. Disappointed, even. It's not a look I ever want to see on my mom's face.

"Let me rephrase that. You will join us tonight. I'm not usually very strict with you, am I? I don't ask much of you, right? So can't you please do this one thing for me? You're pushing us away, and it hurts, Marinette. We're your parents." My mom's voice wavers but she holds steady, maintaining the demand for me to join them.

"Mom, I really can't tonight. I just can't."

"You can-"

"I can't!" I yell, tears welling in my eyes. I've never really yelled at my parents before, especially not my mom. Her face changes to just pure hurt, as she stares at me silently.

"It's like I don't even know who you are anymore." She says, her voice barely above a whisper, yet still loud enough for me to catch what she said.

And I think that was the last bit my heart could take.

"I'm Ladybug." I whisper, my mom's eyes widening.

"What?" She squeaks, hand fluttering to her chest as she looks at me as if I've grown horns and a tail.

"No." She says, the word certain and gut-wrenching. "I would know if my daughter was Ladybug. I would know the pain and the fear and... and I would know. So don't say that. Don't." Tears fall down her cheeks, her hands coming up to cover her mouth.

"I am. And I really need to go. Please don't tell dad, just say something about me not feeling well. Or that we've had a fight. I don't know. Whatever you want. I'll talk with you when I'm back, okay?" We stand there staring at each other, my mother's quiet sobs cracking the foundations of my being, my soul feeling like it's getting crushed slowly.

"Tikki, spots on." I say, transforming into Ladybug right before my mother's eyes.

"Marinette!" She calls out as I turn to leave. When I face her, she gives me the smallest smile with tear soaked cheeks. "Please be safe, my baby."