Emotional Escape and Chance Call

TRIGGER WARNING: assault, blade, guns

IF GHOSTS WERE PEOPLE WITH UNFULLFILLED DESIRES, what happened to those who lived a relatively fulfilling life? Chung-Cha had always thought about it, and she finally had an answer.

Nothing.

When Chung-Cha let Min-Ji take over her body, she was completely gone. One second, she was sitting on the floor, panicking over Detective Kim. The next, she was standing up, holding a sheet of paper. Obviously, some time had passed, but she couldn't remember anything.

Min-Ji must have written it. The writing was smudged, but Chung-Cha could still read it. After, she folded the paper neatly in half, and stuffed it into her pocket. She crouched beside Detective Kim and checked his wound. It was covered, which had to be good.

There was a sudden crash outside. Chung-Cha immediately took out the box cutter and shifted in front of Detective Kim, determined to keep her promise to little Seo-Yoon.

"What about Andrew?" It was Yeon-Ok who said that.

"I'm sure he's waiting down there, somewhere." This time, it was Yi-Hyun who spoke. Chung-Cha sighed in relief, putting away the box cutter. She shook Detective Kim lightly, whispering that Yi-Hyun was alright and that they were going to be saved. He didn't reply, but he smiled slightly.

They waited. Chung-Cha, especially, had a hard time ignoring Yeon-Ok screaming and struggling. Momentarily terrified, Chung-Cha wondered what Yi-Hyun was doing to Yeon-Ok to elicit such a reaction. She took her phone and stopped the recording. Nobody else had to know about this.

Yi-Hyun eventually entered the room. As he was helping Detective Kim up, he told Chung-Cha the plan. They were going to go outside. First, to the rooftop. Then, they'll use the other staircase and go to the carpark. Chung-Cha nodded rigidly (somehow, angry Yi-Hyun made her more uncomfortable than unpredictable Andrew). With Detective Kim supported by Yi-Hyun and Chung-Cha on either side, they set off to the lift. The sounds of banging faded. 

:

Chung-Cha was on-edge, hearing out for any ghosts that meant Andrew was near. When the lift arrived at their floor (since when was the electricity working?), she practically pulled Detective Kim in, mumbling an apology. With her free hand, she held the box cutter, nervously fidgeting with it. Yi-Hyun heard faint clicking sounds and turned to her, surprised.

The lift stopped at the 6th floor. Dread filled Chung-Cha as she wondered who managed to intercept them. However, it was only Sae-Bom; Seo-Yoon; So-Yoon. Chung-Cha hid the box cutter behind her. Hae-Sung chased after them, pleading So-Yoon to stay, but she threw away her wedding ring in front of him. Chung-Cha tapped her foot impatiently. They had to leave quickly. They were wasting too much time.

When the lift reached the rooftop, Bo-Ram was there, sitting alone in her tent. Chung-Cha weaseled away from Detective Kim and ran to her. She hurriedly pulled her up. "We're going outside. You should come too."

"Am I allowed to?"

Sae-Bom sent Chung-Cha a knowing look. She turned to Bo-Ram. "You should. Andrew might try to hurt you."

Chung-Cha squeezed Bo-Ram's hand, silently reassuring her, and together they crossed the rooftop. Chung-Cha heard the ghosts before she saw him. Even before she could warn the group, the door to the rooftop violently swung open. Andrew stepped into the sunlight, breathing heavily. Everyone stopped in their tracks. He scanned the group, his eyes landing on Chung-Cha and Bo-Ram. He frowned.

"Chung-Cha. I gave you a chance." Andrew raised his gun and pointed it at her. He pulled the trigger.

It was as if time slowed down. Chung-Cha was acutely aware of everything around her; from the drops of perspiration rolling down her neck, to the big blue sky that stretched as far as she could see. It was such an unnatural shade of blue. She had never seen that kind of blue before. If she could, she would spend an entire afternoon mixing her acrylics together, experimenting and trying to find it. Was the sky this vibrant at her parents place? She hoped that they were alright, and that they would be alright.