Chapter 17: Preparing for war

Start from the beginning

"Hi, Bruce." She greeted.

"Nat."

There was silence in the room.

"This is awkward." Sam whispered to Hayden, Vision and Wanda.

--------------------------------

The team discussed the current situation in the office. A projection of Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight was displayed in the middle of the table.

"So we have to assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asked.

"And they can clearly find us." Wanda added.

Bruce was pacing the room.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" He said.

Hayden leaned against the wall with his arms crossed as he answered.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott came to an agreement." Hayden explained.

"It was too hard on their families. They're under house arrest." Natasha interjected.

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asked.

"Ant Man." Steve replied.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce asked, surprised.

"You missed a lot, Bruce." Hayden remarked.

Bruce shook his head, trying to understand the situation. He began to get serious.

"All right, look. Thanos has the biggest army in the universe and he's not going to stop until he gets... the Vision Stone." He says.

"Then we have to protect it." Says Natasha.

"No, we must destroy it." Said Vision from across the room. He leaned against the wall, one hand on the wound Corvus Glaive had inflicted on him. "I've been thinking a lot about this entity in my head. About its nature. But also its composition."

Vision climbed down from the wall and began walking towards Wanda. They all continued to listen.

"I think if it were exposed to a powerful enough energy source, something very similar to its own signature, perhaps its molecular integrity could fail." He explained.

"Yeah, and you with it." replied Wanda.

Hayden approached them, understanding what his close friend wanted.

"We don't do that, Vision."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to make sure Thanos can't get it." He said.

"That's too high a price." Said Wanda.

Vision shook his head, looking at his two friends before staring directly at Wanda.

"Only you have the power to destroy it." He said.

Wanda walked away, not wanting to discuss it any further. Steve listened and bowed his head.

"Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of his defeat." Vision continued.

"But it should." Steve replied. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, 70 years ago, you gave your life to save how many millions of people? Tell me, why is this different?" Vision asked.

"Because you might have a choice." Bruce tells her. "You're a complex construction of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the stone. All mixed together, all learning from each other."

"Are you saying that Vision isn't just the Stone?" Hayden asked.

"I'm saying that if you take away the stone there's still a lot of Vision left. Maybe the best parts."