Fourteen - Bonnie & Clyde

Comenzar desde el principio

"I wasn't trying to be a rebel though," he said as we got into the busy streets.

I quickly brought out my airpods and placed one in my ear so I could still talk to him and not freak people out.

"What made you do it?" I asked.

"The principal informed me that my mom was sick and that someone would take me to the hospital after school but," he let out a breath. "I couldn't wait."

"Is she fine now?" I asked.

"She got better but, I have no idea how she is now."

And with the shake in his voice, I knew this was something that had him pained. I didn't want to push him too much. We'd made sure not to cross that line but, I really would like to know more about his family and how his life before his death was like.

"I'm sure she's fine," I said, trying to cheer him up.

He sighed. "I hope so."

"So," I started, sidestepping a woman. "Any other family members?" 

When Pete's face finally lightened up, I smiled, relieved that I had lifted the mood.

"My grandparents!" He was grinning. "Oh I missed them both so much!"

And right at this moment, a man walked right through him and Pete was caught completely off guard. He stumbled back a little and looked very confused as to what just happened. My anger picked up before I could even think anything through.

"Hey, watch where you're going asshole!"

The man turned to send me a puzzled look while Pete gave me a disaproving one. "Vegas! He can't see me, remember?"

But before I could even feel sorry about it, something weird started happening to Pete. His body glitched a couple of times and very quickly, like he did back at the main family's house. I felt my breath hitch in my throat as I started to panic.

"What just happened? Are you okay?"

Pete looked down at his body, looking as confused and lost as I was. "I don't know...maybe the man passed through me a little too fast."

"Does that happen often?"

He looked up at me and smiled. "Vegas, relax. It's nothing."

I wasn't the least bit convinced. "It looked like what happened back at the main house...when you couldn't disappear."

"It's not," Pete argued. "I didn't feel like I wanted to disappear. It was simply a glitch."

"You sure?"

He rolled his eyes at me. "Do you want to worry all day or should we keep going?"

I still wasn't convinced but I sighed, deciding not to further bring down the mood. Maybe really, it was just a glitch. The man had walked through him too fast. We started walking again. "Sorry, go on."

"I especially miss Grandma Jie," he continued, pouting now. "I always said she was annoying because she talks a lot and coddles me too much but, I actually miss that about her."

He giggled, his eyes a little distant. He was remembering a fond memory. "She would always sneak me food. Mom didn't like it because she said my cheeks were too chubby but grandma Jie didn't care!"

"I like Grandma Jie," I decided. "And, I also like your chubby cheeks."

Pete became flustered as he looked away. I laughed at that.

"I wonder how she is now..." A frown came upon his features again.

I bit my bottom lip, directing him to turn into a new street.