Chapter Five

It had been a week since Arina had been forced to endure such a beating. Kos had persuaded Mustafa to allow Arina to stay in her room for the week. Mustafa had only allowed it because he knew with the marks on Arina's body, no man would want to sleep with her. 

In that week, she had turned fourteen. She had announced it to Natalie who just looked at her and wandered off. Nobody cared for her birthday, she was just another girl in a brothel; her birthday was nothing special to anybody. Arina had done nothing but think throughout the week. She thought about what her Baba would do if he found out what was happening to her. She thought about what her friends at school were doing right now. She thought about how to get out of this crazy ‘hotel’.

She hadn’t had much contact with people, either. Natalie hadn't said a word to her since, she knew how fragile Arina was feeling- she too had been in that position once. The only person to speak to Arina during that week was D. He had brought her porridge to eat everyday, and on the first night since the incident when Arina had vomited all the porridge back up her throat, it was him who had cleaned it. Seeing a young girl in that state- lying in bed covered in her own sick- was something that D had grown accustomed to over his years of working for Mustafa, but with Arina, he had made it his duty to look after her. 

The door opened at 21:00, that night, by D who entered it slowly. It had become normality for D to visit Arina at that time every night, so Arina thought nothing new of it, however she was mistaken.

                "Get up, Arina." D instructed with such importance. 

                "What, Sir? Why?" 

D liked Arina's mannerisms.

                "Mustafa says you've got to get ready," he said as he began fiddling with his fingers.

                "For what? I do not understand." 

                "He says you've recovered enough."

Arina had nothing to say to this, though she was still more than confused.

                "It's your first round today, Arina," D sighed. It was obvious he had grown fond of this girl.

                "No!" Arina exclaimed. "I don't want to go. Please don't make me, D. Please?" She pleaded. Her huge, bold eyes spoke so many emotions that she could not voice. D knew he was hopeless. She would have to go.

                "I'm sorry, Arina. You know Mustafa..." His voice trailed off. "You've got to go," he said firmly before exiting. She got up of her bed in a panic. She wanted to so badly leave, she wanted to run anyway. She remembered Natalie's plan to run away. 

As if on queue, Natalie walked in through the door.

                "What yous doing out of bed? You look a right mess! Here," she said before handing Arina one of her vest tops which Arina quickly placed over her filthy top.

                "D said I have to go on a round, but I don't even know what it is. What is it, Nats?" Arina pondered. She thought of all the horrific possibilities- more men. 

                "All yous got to do is stand on a street corner and wait for some man to pick yous up. He might want you in his car, or if yous is lucky, he'll have rented a hotel room. And please, for the love of God, do as the man says this time."

Arina knew she had no choice. She would have to do just as the man says.

                “I want what you smoked,” Arina randomly demanded.