Chapter forty-one

Comincia dall'inizio

For the past two days I’ve been feeling a little under the weather, but it’s probably from the exhaustion.

I pushed through the night, but it was a struggle, I was exhausted and my body was sore. Once I finished Emma offered to drive me to Athena’s place.

“Thanks.”

“No worries kiddo” She smiled and I got out of the car and into the house. I took a quick shower and dropped myself next to Athena. She turned and hugged me and I fell asleep immediately.

She woke me up the next day at around 5.3. My head was pounding.

“I have a headache.” I mumbled and she brought me a painkiller. A little after I got up and followed her to the kitchen, where she had already served us.

“I waited for you to wake up.”

I ate half of it, but I wasn’t really hungry.

“You need to eat Alex.”

“I don’t want to, I’m full.”

“How are you going to pull through at work today?”

“I’ll be fine.” I started doing my homework.

She helped me finish it and we cuddled on the couch until it was time to go to the club.  

The shift was unbearable. About midway, Emma pulled me aside to talk to me.

“Alex, you seem tired, perhaps you should leave earlier today.”

“No, I’m fine, I can handle it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yep” She sighed and let me go back to work. I managed to finish my shift and once again she drove me to Athena’s place. I took a shower, made a coffee and got dressed for school.

Athena woke up and made us breakfast.

“Baby, how are you?”

“I’m tired.” I whined and she hugged me.

“I know.” We ate breakfast and she drove us to school.

I was struggling to stay awake during science. During Math I started feeling cold and Charlie was worried. All I wanted was to go home and sleep. I managed to pull through the rest of my classes. During lunch break we went to the cafeteria where I saw Athena talking to Mrs. Miller and her wife. We locked eyes and she smiled at me from across the room.

During PE she let me sit on the bench. She let me go earlier and I went to English. I wasn’t feeling well. I knocked on her door and she opened it for me.

“Are you okay?”

“No, I don’t feel well and I’m cold.”

“You are pale.” She put her hand on my forehead. “You are burning Alex. You should go to the nurse.” She said grabbing my arm. She led me to the nurse’s office.

The nurse helped me put a thermometer.

“Yep, you’ve got a fever. 39.5. You should go home.”

“I’ll tell Charlie to take you, wait here.” She told me.

She left and came back in ten minutes.

“That was fast.” I gave her a small smile and she did the same.

“She’s waiting at the parking lot.” The nurse helped me off the bed and I walked out with Athena. I was shivering. She took off her jacket and put it over me. I wanted to hug her, but we were still at the school.