Scorpios & Verreas: Part 8

"What part of three days did they not understand?" Nailah had asked the knight Axon who donned his armour made of rippling bronze. In the centre of his breastplate was the black scorpion with two spears crossing each other, gilded in a magnificent shining gold. The sigil of House Scorpio was one to be worn with pride, as did those in the years before. And so did Axon take up the honour, which Nailah had bestowed upon him on the day Nazreth returned from the Sea of Fields. "Are you certain the note was handed to them?"

Ser Axon raised his head toward his queen, his face half hidden from the bronze helmet he wore, which had overlapping layers and five striking tails of a fattail scorpion lining the centre. "It was handed to them, to be sure, my Queen. I had instructed my brother, Daryn, to deliver your message directly to their apartments. He informed me that Lord Vandarion had accepted the note and even agreed to attend at your behest."

"It has been five days, and still they have not shown up with neither word nor excuse." Nailah slowly became enraged, shifting in the seat of scorpions. She found herself thinking why she had not decreed a punishment be carried out should they not arrive on the hour she requested them to arrive. Mayhaps I should remove Ishtar's head, or perhaps take Sheya's son and daughters as my wards. They shall serve nicely as cupbearers and slaves to my men.

"How discourteous of even such a great and mighty house. Why, one would even say it to be a disgrace toward the crown," Dazzaron Ayi'lon whispered to Nailah, smelling of lavender and cinnamon oils. And he very well had the right of it in her eyes. They had always proven their dislike toward House Scorpio, to Ramil, to her and to her kin.

They mean to display their dominance over the crown, do they? I shall gladly wish to remember their faces once I announce my plans.

Beside Nailah sat Ramses and his dear sister, the princess Iniyla (Nailah would not have her youngest children in the presence of misleading vipers, and so she had left them with her handmaidens in her own bed chambers).

Ramses had worn a white silken blouse with fine stitches of golden threads, leaving his bare chest open as he always had on a day that was as humid as this one. Iniyla Scorpio, daughter of Ramil and Nailah sat with a fine blue silken gown with elegant patterns of the north sown with gold silken thread. Her black hair was thinly braided and she wore a golden band around her head with smoothly rounded sapphire gems and rubies lining the top and bottom rims. From the clear windows from the top of the hall, golden sunlight reached down to touch her back and held her face with its palms, her lustrous hazel eyes coming to life as they breathed their own fire.

Dazzaron Ayi'lon, Nailah's Lord of Whispers, sat on the chair beside the princess Iniyla, dressed in the finest clothing and hands full of jewelled rings. From the base looking up, he seemed ever the mischievous Lord of Secrets as his shadow created an uneasy appearance to his cunning and dreadful charm. Dazzaron held a bright green apple in his hand, slicing thin chunks out of it, its white, bubbling juices running down his hand and lips as he ate. Occasionally he patted the sides of his mouth with a soft embroidered, woollen cloth.

"The surgeons have been prescribing these green ones for months. It helps with the digesting," he said with a clean smile, slicing another piece and bringing it to his wet mouth. "At first I was so very much doubtful, but when I began eating them everyday, I have noticed much improvement in the way my body handles itself. A marvel what common fruits such as these can do. They give one a day's fill of life, energy and satisfaction. I mean to gather more younger fruits when I make leave here tonight."

"I may need to take your recommendation as well," said Ramses, trying to entertain the Ayi'lon's words when his mother remained silent. Dazzaron giggled and offered him a piece of his apple, but Ramses declined his offer in a gentle manner.