dress shopping

"I don't know, Mandy. He's just being so annoying," I told my friend, as I tried on another prom gown. "He called us hanging out a 'date', and then proceeded to ask out LaToya right in front of me,"

"I'm sorry, Jaz," she sighed. "He's just confused,"

"I know," I told her. I looked at myself in the mirror, smiling at the dress. "I just wish he'd talk to me, you know?"

"Right," she said. "Come on, I wanna see," she ushered.

"I really like it," I said. I stepped out of the dressing room, and Mandy gasped.

"That's beautiful, Jazzy," she said. "You look gorgeous,"

"Thanks," I chuckled. "I think this is the one," I said.

"That's definitely the one," she agreed. "I have to meet Ben," she sighed. "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah," I smiled, sadly. "I'll see you later,"

*

The next day at school, I waited with Mandy beside her locker.

"Hey Mandy, who you texting?" Ben asked, joining us. I crossed my arms over my chest, as I looked anywhere but at him. "Hi, Jaz," he said. I didn't respond.

"Uh, my mom," she said. "What's up?"

"Where are we going Saturday night?" he asked. "I'm thinking we class it up and we all go to the Olive Garden,"

"What are you talking about?" Mandy asked.

"His birthday dinner," I said, pinching the bridge of my nose, as I had forgotten about it. "The fundraiser is this Saturday, Ben—I'm sorry, but I can't come,"

Mandy sent me a look that said, 'we're horrible friends' because then I remembered she had also been invited to the fundraiser.

"I'm also going to that," Mandy said.

"Seriously, Graham again? Neither of you can make it to my birthday dinner?"

"Not Graham. The letter," Mandy said.

"I could try and pull a few strings. Don't cut me out yet." I sighed, telling him. I may have been mad, but I'd never intentionally miss his birthday.

"Okay, fair enough," he said to me, and I smiled at my two friends before excusing myself from them to go and use the bathroom.

I should have stayed. My bladder could have waited 45 more seconds.

*

Angelina Speaks:

Well. We know what's coming next 😃