coach graham

After school, Ben had given me a ride to the Rec Center to pick up my little brother, Julian.

He played basketball there after school as a pastime until my mom or I could pick him up.

Graham Lansing also coached there, which was probably one of the kindest things he'd ever done. In all honesty, Graham was a good guy—he just took his popularity too serious in school, which is the reason we grew apart.

"Okay, wait here—I'll be back," I told Ben, who nodded as he parked the car. I got out, and ran up to the doors, swinging them
open.

The kids were just finishing up practice, when I heard Graham say: "If I make this, I'll bring donuts next practice,"

He made the shot—not that I doubted him. The kids cheered, piling on top of him on the floor as he laughed. I smiled at Julian's face, but my smile faded when I saw Mandy.

Had Graham brought her here? Graham never brought anyone here.

"Jasmine," Mandy breathed, shakily. "I..need to apologize about yesterday—"

"Hey, don't worry about it," I told her, "you're absolutely right, and I'm sorry. I'm trying to be better; let loose, you know?"

"I'm proud of you," she grinned. "And hey, for what it's worth..Ben and I need you, too. We're friends, we're supposed to need each other. Everything just came out so wrong yesterday,"

I stepped forward and hugged her.

"I missed you," I told her. "I was so bored last night, and I really wanted all the details on you and Graham Lansing," I whispered, and she laughed.

"Later," she nodded, "I promise,"

"Jazzy!" Julian shouted, running over to me.

"Hey, dude," I smiled. "Did you kick Coach Graham's butt today?" I fist bumped him. He nodded.

"Hey, Julian, don't make me..." Graham leaned down, and tickled my brother who laughed hysterically.

"Thanks, Graham," I chuckled.

"Sure," he shrugged with a smile. "Hey, I'll see you soon, yeah?"

I knew he'd been talking about the fundraiser that my family would be attending. I nodded.

"Bye, Mandy," Julian tugged my arm, wanting to leave. "Call me!" I shouted as we went back to Ben's car.

*

Angelina Speaks:

I was never letting my girl live without her besties 🫶