Chapter 3 ~ What Are They?

Tala woke up to furious shaking.
"Wake up Tala! Oh please wake up!" Star shook her.
Groaning slightly Tala rested her hand in a bump on her hand.
"Ouch! Must've hit my head pretty hard." Tala whined.
Star looked at her with worried but relieved eyes.
"Don't worry I'll be fine." Tala reassured her.
Tala grasped some soft grass in her hand and smiled. She was outside for the first time in 10 years. But the smiled faded quickly when she remembered where she was.
"We need to move before some guards see us."
Star nodded and helped Tala to her feet and the both of them started running on an over-grown path. Trying to be light on their feet, trying not to make a sound, but failed a little.
They dodged rocks as they came into view and jumped over roots. The forest wasn't pretty like you usually see them as, but dark and scary with no light but mist instead. The blue sky grew darker and darker with each step. Tala listened to her feet slap against the hard ground. Even with burning lungs and legs Tala kept running trying to keep up with Star. But eventually she had to stop before she died.
"I am so out of shape, I need to take a break." Tala sat down against a tree breathing deeply.
Star sat next to her and looked off into space.
Finally bored with the silence Tala said,
"Tell me about yourself now that we're friends."
Star looked at Tala uneasily, but in Tala's pale eyes, they showed no sign of threat but curiosity. Planning her words carefully Star took a deep breath.
"Well I'm sixteen, and you already have figured out I'm not a pureblood. That's all about me really. Anyways my father and mother had little money to pay taxes to the king."
"Who is your king?" Tala asked.
"Your father Tala, did you not know that?" Star looked worried.
Confused Tala asked,
"But how is that true, my father told me that your race has a king. And that he doesn't rule over you."
"Please forgive me for saying this Tala, but your father is full of lies. He came to my house one week ago and personally said, ' I see your family had little money, don't worry though. If your daughter world for me for 3 days then I will tell my tax collector to skip your house.' My father said I could go for only 3 days. I went and as soon as I got there the king took me into a room and made it quite clear that I wasn't going to see my family ever again." Star had tears in her eyes.
Tala didn't say anything, she couldn't. She knew her father was mean and cruel, but to do that to someone is almost unforgivable!
"Anyway..." Star felt the awkwardness between them, "Before your father came we had our own king, king Jong 111. He was a very nice king. He had a son Mark, who is now seventeen and a daughter Lilly, who was 9."
"W-was?" Tala choked out.
"Your father came into our village with 100 of his finest men, and destroyed it. He k-killed my older brother, Zach. Then he made his way to the castle with only 99 men, because my father killed the one who killed my brother. Your father shot an arrow and killed king John, and his daughter. But left Mark alive. Your father left many sobbing families, and laughed at them." Star tried to control the tears coming down her face.
Tala was not able to move or think at all. Her mouth was dry and would form no words. The only thing she could say was,
"Why......."
"I ran to the castle and saw Mark in the doorway with his head between his knees. 'I will kill his family so he will know how it feels!' He said. At that time Will, my other friend came and just shock his head and didn't say anything, and he didn't have too. There was nothing to say." Star explained.
"I-I didn't k-know...." Tala's voice was shaky.
"I know, but now that you do what do you think?" Star asked.
"I feel like I don't know my father anymore." Tala felt a tear roll down her face.
" I think you never did."
Tala nodded and hugged Star.
"I'm so sor-" Tala was cut off by a loud howling noise followed by pounding hoof beats.
"What is that?" Star asked.
"I don't know but I don't like it." Tala said.
"Climb the tree quickly!"
Star jumped onto the trunk and placed her hands and feet into small indentions in the tree and climbed to the lowest branch and sat there.
Tala skipped behind the tree and slowly and quietly loaded an arrow and held her breath.
"Tala get up here!" Star whispered.
Tala shook her head and listened to the hoof beats. They seemed to be get closer. A big, frightening howl sent shivers down Tala's spine. Star's face had terror written all over it. The hoof beats were so loud they seemed to be so close, then all of a sudden they stopped.
Tala knelt down and counted to herself.
"3.........2.......1.......0. "
Tala jumped out from behind the tree and saw her target and almost shot, but didn't. A silver unicorn with a very deep gash on her shoulder laid down in the grass as if surrendering to the predator. Tala heard a gasp from Star.
The unicorn was bleeding badly and need help quickly. Tala took 5 steps but then stopped when she heard a low growl. At the head of the unicorn was a big, black creature with blood red eyes filled with sorrow and hate.
"What are they?" Star shook.
"Wolves." Tala answered.
Tala readjusted her bow and held it at the wolf. The wolf sensing danger growled again and lunged at Tala with an open mouth ready to bite. Tala shot the arrow and it flew rights into its heart killing it instantly. Tala starred in horror as three more wolves appeared from the shadows. Reloading an arrow aimed at the smallest wolf and shot the arrow threw its brain. Looking over to the unicorn, a wolf had decided to lick the unicorn's neck and getting ready to feast. Tala pulled her secret dagger from her boot and ran towards the wolf as he jumped at her, Tala cut his neck killing him. Tala looked at the third wolf but he had somehow vanished.
"Tala! Behind you!" Star screamed.
Tala looked behind her to see the third wolf jumping at her. Tala couldn't turn around quick enough before the wolf had grabbed hold of her thigh with its teeth. Tala punch the wolf and it let go. Tala fell to the floor screaming in pain as her fingers felt blood run over them.
"Tala!" Star screamed even louder.
The wolf had smelt blood came back for more. This time the wolf jumped on Tala, scratching her, but she held the wolf in one hand and reached for and arrow in her quiver. Barely able to pull the arrow out of the quiver Tala held the angry wolf's mouth shut and lunged the arrow into its heart. The wolf's eyes suddenly looked at peace, and stopped moving.
"Rest in peace." Tala whispered before screaming in pain again.
"I really didn't want to kill them...." She whispered.

A/N ~ The picture at the top is Star, but with red eyes. Hope you still like it, tell me what you think. Just so you know I don't hate wolves. :) ❤️