Chapter 2 ~ Secret Doors

Tala rushed to her room, crying. Why would her father do something like that? How is he protecting her? He is ruining her life, like he always has.
"I wish you were here mother, I could really use the help." Tala cried.
This really isn't a big deal. Moving rooms, but think if you were never allowed to go outside, and the window was the closet thing to the outside and that was being taken away from you! That would be hard.
Silver tears ran down her face, falling and staining her black leggings and red short sleeve shirt.
Eric walked into her room and sat on the bed next to her.
"Tala I heard-" Eric started
"Leave me alone!" Tala sobbed.
"Okay." He said simply and hugged his sister.
"Eric?"
"Hmmm."
"Why does father hate me?" Tala asked.
"He doesn't hate you...." Eric answered.
"Rethink your answer." Tala said.
"He just wants to protect you.....but does it in a very mean way." Eric spoke.
"A VERY mean way." Tala sniffed.
Eric remained silent and looked around the room, this had once been his room but he was moved to the top floor of the castle.
A smile appeared across his face when he remembered something.
"Tala do you remember when we were little and we would sneak out of the castle at night and look around outside?" Eric asked.
"A little." Tala answered wiping the last tear away.
"Do you remember how we got out?"
"Yeah, a little ladder in like this secret room." Tala said.
"You can get out that way." Eric smiled.
"Eric, I don't even remember where it is." Tala huffed.
"I do." Eric jumped off the bed and grabbed Tala's hand pulling her toward the closet in the far corner.
"Eric where are we going?" Tala asked.
"You'll see." Eric answered excitedly.
Tala had a long walk-in closet that didn't have very many clothes. A very nice dress for parties, work clothes and just hang out clothes. Eric pulled Tala all the way to the end and held her hand in the air.
"Do you feel anything?" He asked.
"Yeah just a cool breeze." Tala said.
"A breeze, in a sealed room." Eric tried to give her a hint. It took her a little bit to release it but after a few minutes she finally got it.
"Oh Eric!" Tala squealed excitedly.
Tala moved her hand to the source where the breeze was coming from. A crack in the wood starting from the top going all the way to the bottom. When they were little, they would always open the door to go outside when they were supposed to be in bed. Those were the good old days.
"Thank you Eric! I totally forgot about the door!" Tala hugged her brother.
"Glad to be of help." Eric bowed like a gentleman.
"Help me open it will you?" Tala asked.
"I guess." Eric couldn't help but smile.
Eric went to one side and Tala went to the other. Placing their hands in the crack they both started to pull as hard as they could. Slowly the doors started to open with great protest.
Tala stopped pulling when she thought the hole was big enough to fit through.
"I can't thank you enough Eric. Maybe once I get away I can start my life over." Tala smiled.
"You're leaving?" Eric looked sad.
"Eric, you know I can't keep living like this! I'll come visit maybe." Tala smirked.
"I'm gonna miss you." Eric hugged Tala and said goodbye.
Tala pulled away from the hug when she heard the door to the closet open.
"Oh I'm sorry! I didn't know you guys were in here!" The maid named Star apologized.
"This is not what it looks like!" Tala practically scream.
"I can leave if you want." Star said.
"No! Wait did you hear what we said?" Tala asked.
"A little, I just heard that you are running away." Star whispered.
"Great!" Tala moaned.
"I'm sorry!" Star looked upset.
"It's not your fault." Eric said.
"I just got here, I was forced to do this and I haven't been myself ever since." Star told.
"You were forced?" Tala looked at her with sad eyes.
"Yes." Star answered quietly.
Tala thought, Star could tell the king about this, and he will flip. But if she took Star with her, she could take her back home.
"Star......will you come with me?" Tala asked.
"What?" Star said in shock.
"I don't want you to be here against your will. Believe me I know what it's like. I could take you back home if you want." Tala explained.
"Really you would do that!" Star shouted.
"Yes!" Tala smiled nicely.
"Oh thank you!" Star ran over to Tala and bear hugged her.
"Oh I'm sorry princess!" Star backed up.
"Hey, my name is Tala, no need to be formal. Just think of me as a normal girl, okay?" Tala put a hand on Star's shoulder.
"Okay, thanks Tala!"
"Not to ruin your mood ladies, but I think you have to get moving." Eric interrupted.
"Ya I guess so. But what about you?" Tala turned to her brother.
"Oh I don't know, cover for you while you're gone." He smiled.
"Can I thank you enough?"
"Your smile makes up for that." Eric said.
Tala smiled and said goodbye, and grabbed her white bow with 4 arrows. She grabbed Star's hand and squeezed through the small crack in the wall.
"Wow it's dark in here...." Star whispered.
Tala nodded.
"Now if I remember correctly then the ladder is that way." Tala pointed to the right.
Star started walking to the right a little bit a head of Tala.
The only thing that Tala liked about her father was the way that he treated the maids. He would give them a purple or blue dress that went down to mid thigh. Nothing fancy but better than what a normal maid would wear.
"Hey Tala! I think I see sunlight!" star called.
Tala looked up and saw a barred window. Sunlight was cascading down on them.
"It's so beautiful." Tala said in awe.
"You need to get out more often!" Star laughed.
"Tala I think I found that ladder you were talking about!" Star looked down.
Tala walked over to Star and looked down a long whole with a wooden ladder leaning against one of the edges.
"That doesn't look safe..." Star whispered.
"It should be fine....." Tala added.
"Key word - should." Star said.
"I'll go first. To make sure it's safe." Tala offered.
"You sure?"
"Yeah." Tala answered.
Tala bent down and grabbed the ladder and made her way down the creaking ladder.
Half way down Tala called up to Star.
"I think it's safe!"
" I trust you!" Star called down.
Tala kept making her way down but maybe moving faster down wasn't the best idea. A piece of wood snapped in half and Tala looked down and forgot to hold on and lost her grip letting her fall down.
Tala let out a scream which scared Star badly.
"Tala! What's wrong!" Star called.
Tala looked down and saw the ground come rushing up to meet her. Tala closed her eyes and prepared for impact. Tala hit the ground hard with a big thud!
"That's gonna leave a mark." Tala moaned.
Star kept calling to Tala but her words were blurred. Tala's vision started growing dark, then black.