Chapter 87

Jennie

Lisa gives compliments so sparingly that, when she does, it suddenly becomes very hard to hide the blush that crawls up my neck. "Should we do this thing?"

"After you."

Lisa follows me to the house where Mina waits patiently on the porch. When we get closer, Lisa falls behind slightly, slowing her steps. When I turn to look at her, she looks stunned.

"Well?" Mina says, with an anxious smile fidgeting on her lips. She pinches the fabric around her hips and lifts it lightly to show the dress off. "What do you think?"

"You look beautiful." To anyone else, Lisa might sound unmoved. To me, I can hear the thickness in her voice. She's touched.

Mina's eyes start to water again. She takes in a deep breath and fans her face lightly to ward off tears. Lisa reaches out and takes her hand to help her down the porch.

"Are you ready?" I ask her.

Mina stretches a smile across her face. "Yes. I'm ready."

Without their father there, Lisa is giving Mina away. She walks Mina to the starting line behind the chairs.

Lena, it turns out, is a violinist. I nod to her, giving her the cue. She tucks her violin under her chin and starts to play the wedding march. The guests turn around at that and fix their eyes on Mina. No one's eyes light up quite the same way that Bambam's do, though.

Ren and Nayeon stand at attention at the back. I hang back with them. My chest swells with pride for everything that we've done, but at the end of the day, this moment is for the family. It's miraculous to watch it unfold in front of us. One week. One week, too many bumps in the road to count, but we did it. We made it to this one, precious moment.

True love. It can make miracles happen.

With the clutter of planning the wedding behind me, I feel like I'm seeing the place for the first time. The mountains are sapphire blue in the distance. The altar at the end is completely covered in fall leaves, making it look as though the woods itself is reaching up to bless their wedding. The air tastes so fresh here, and in between Lena's music pauses, I can hear the stream gurgle beside us.

When they reach the end of the aisle, Lisa leans over and whispers something in Mina's ear. She turns, wraps her arms around Lisa's neck, and hugs her tight. Finally, Mina lets her go. Lisa turns to Bambam instead and hands off the ring. Bambam's voice booms all the way to the back row, and I can hear him thank Lisa (Lali) and pat her once on the shoulder. With that, Lisa sits down in the front row, and Mina takes her place at the other side of the tracks beside Bambam.

"Friends and family..." the pastor starts.

Ren shifts beside me and nudges me with his elbow. "We can handle it from here." he whispers. "Go enjoy the fruits of your labour."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

He lifts his eyebrows with an amused smirk. "We know how to find you if we need you. Go."

I know better than to ask twice. I unplug my earpiece, open up my small purse, and tuck it inside. With that, I make a circle around the audience until I get to the front. Quietly, so as not to interrupt the pastor, I take the empty seat beside Lisa. Gently, I slip my hand into hers. She's shaking. I give her a comforting squeeze and rub my thumb back and forth.

You did the right thing, I try to tell her through our pressed palms. I don't know if she gets the message or if she just likes the way that my fingers feel laced between hers. Either way, she calms down shortly after and stares ahead at the ceremony.