Chapter 56

Lisa

"What the hell were you thinking?" I snap. Adrenaline is still rushing through my veins, white and hot, and I can't turn it off.

She looks like she might cry. "I wanted to do something nice... I thought if Mina and Bambam saw it, maybe they'd get excited about the wedding again..."

"Fuck the wedding." I move my hands to her shoulders. I need her to hear it. Those green eyes go wide and meet mine. "Nothing is more important than your safety. Nothing. You..." My voice cracks. Something has broken inside my chest, and I can't stop the words from pouring out. "You're important to me. You scared the hell out of me."

Those eyes don't leave mine. She reaches out and her fingertips touch my lips curiously and then follow my jaw. "You're important to me too." she says. Her voice is soft, like a whisper.

I can't stop myself. I don't want to stop. I take her in my arms.

I hold her face.

I feel her breath patter rapidly against my cheek.

I claim her lips with mine.

Savour this woman, Lisa. Don't lose her.

I kiss her with a softness I didn't know that I was capable of. Gently, slowly, I taste her tongue with mine, and I feel her moan vibrate through my entire being.

She's small against my body, and her fingers clench at my shirt.

There is too much between us. Far too much. But I won't push her. This isn't one of my conquests. This is entirely different. So new, in fact, it feels like my first time. My heart is jackhammering in my chest when I touch her blouse and unsheathe the top button.

"Is this okay?" I ask.

Her hand slips up the side of my neck and clutches the back of my head, drawing me closer. "Yes." she says in a breath.

Our mouths connect again, and this time it feels like years before we pull away. When we do, we're breathless, and my body is on fire.

I break and shrug my jacket off my shoulders. I kneel to spread it out on the ground, on top of the hay littering the floor. Before I can lay Jennie down, however, she surprises me by climbing into my lap. I sit on my own jacket, with Jennie in my lap, and I'm not used to losing control like this, but it's hard to argue when the petals of her lips break against my mouth once again.

We're illuminated by nothing but moonlight and those damned lights that she nearly killed herself over, spooled out around the around. They glitter like fireflies around us as we sink into each other.