Chapter 78

Jennie

"Taehyung? As in your ex-fiancé, Taehyung?"

"Yeah. Apparently, he called Ren and... it's a long story." Pat, pat, pat. "We had coffee."

"Coffee." She says it like an accusation.

"Yes. And we talked."

"About what?"

"What he was doing now. Why he left."

"There's no excuse for what he did to you. None."

"I know that."

"Do you?"

"What does that mean?"

Lisa's eyes flicker up to meet mine before they find the ground again. "You're right. It's not my business."

We lapse into a small tense silence. I nudge a tin can with the toe of my sandals.

"Look, it was good." I say.

"Good?" Now Lisa looks like she might pop a vein.

"Not like that. I just mean... seeing him made me realise that I didn't need him... or want him... in my life."

"Taehyung doesn't make you feel like I do."

I shake my head and look up into her eyes. "No."

"He doesn't fuck you like I do."

That escalated quickly. My mouth goes dry, and it takes a moment for me to find my words. "I..."

"Or do you need a reminder?"

Oh holy heck. The look in her eyes goes straight between my thighs. I swallow hard.

Lisa's gaze doesn't leave mine, not for a second. "Come here." she demands.

"We really don't have time." I say lamely, even though I scoot closer.

"There's always time to make you mine." Lisa closes the gap between us. She reaches behind my head, and I feel my hair tug at my scalp before it falls free at my shoulders. She snaps my hair tie around her wrist before she cups my face and closes her mouth over mine. Her kiss is deliberate, and possessive. My heart hammers wildly in my chest. Yes, yes. This is the Lisa that I need. This hard-headed, bold, and powerful person who can't love me hard enough.