Prologue

This is the updated version of the prologue with the dialogue from the actual movie. (Thank you, Youtube.) Please enjoy!

Peach POV:

Ducking under a spinning obstacle, I jump to the next section of bricks.

I'm so close.

I fly off of it and throw a kick through Bowser's smug face, running across the falling blocks.

Don't look back. Keep running.

I near the end. I leap into the air, hopping between the Bullet Bills and throwing myself toward the flagpole-

"Your Highness."

My focus breaks, and I fall.

Down, down, down, to the water below.

As I sink into the shadowy depths, I feel the powerup fade, and I respawn next to the flagpole.

I was so close!

I turn in slight frustration to the Toad.

He squeaks under my gaze. "My deepest apologies, Princess."

I sigh and soften my gaze, knowing he had no ill intentions. "It's fine. I've already completed it more times than I can count anyway."

The Toad contemplates something. "If... if you've already surpassed this course, why do you still train on it?"

I gaze out at the course. The sunset reflecting off the bricks and casting shadows from the mechanical Piranha Plants. The spikes and question blocks. The pipes. 

"It... well, it reminds me that no matter what the world throws at me- at us, no matter how strong Bowser gets, I still have the power to protect my people and protect myself."

"Wise words, Princess."

There is another moment of nostalgic silence before I speak up. "Eh-hem, in any case, what is it you needed?"

"Oh, right," he says, clearing his throat. "It's nearing nightfall, so we were thinking you might want some dinner."

"We?"

"Oh, um, the staff," he answers sheepishly.

I smile but shake my head. "I'm afraid I won't be eating tonight. I've matters to attend to."

"But your duties are completed," he replies, no doubt confused.

I chuckle lightly, "Personal matters, Mister...?"

He blushes slightly. "Scottoad. But just Scott is fine."

"Great, Scott. Well, I'll be heading to my room now. If the chefs have already prepared dinner, ration it amongst the staff. I would hate for food to go to waste."

Scott bows. "Thank you. You are most gracious, Your Highness."

I blush a little at the compliment. "I'm just doing my job."

"Well, you're doing it magnificently. G'night, Princess."

He runs off, and I smile softly. "Good night, Scott," I whisper to myself.

I begin walking "to my room". I glance around and, after seeing no one, run to the left side of my castle (the one opposite the waterfall). I quickly triple jump onto the grass wall and slide down, jumping at just the right time in order to tightly grip the edge of my roof.

I pull my weight up and run toward the center of the castle, climbing a few towers, before landing atop the highest one and climbing the pole. I handstand on top of it and watch the sun float into the horizon and the sky turn to a soft blue. 

I flip back to normal and slide down the tower sitting on the edge. I take the moment to admire my kingdom. The perfect mushroom forests and the small Toad villages scattered throughout it. 

And Bowser wants to destroy it all.

How can that- that monster want to destroy such a perfect place?! We never did anything to upset him, and it's not like we have anything that could be of value to him! I just- I don't understand.

I sigh into the night. I suppose I'll never know his reasoning, but one thing I do know is that I'll not give up my kingdom- my Toads- that easily.

I clench my fist and parkour my way down the castle, swinging onto my balcony.

I enter my room and undress, putting on a thin blush-colored nightgown.

As I sink into my covers, I can only think one thing.

Bowser will pay for what he has done.

...

I hear a knock on my bedroom door.

I quickly throw on my robe before saying, "Enter."

A small blue Toad enters. "Your Highness, your presence has been requested in the throne room. The council has an urgent matter to discuss."

"Very well. I shall be there in but a few minutes. Tell them I am dressing."

"Of course, Princess."

I stare through my rows of pink dresses (all identical) and select one near the end. I stroll over to my vanity, quickly combing through my heart-shaped bangs. I put on some mascara and a few swipes of my signature pink lipstick before pressing a button on my vanity.

Good thing I had this.

A secret passage opens up, leading directly to beneath my throne. As I reach the platform at the end, I quickly brush down my hair before stepping onto it. The platform rises, placing me inside the seat of my throne. I calmly step off the platform, and it recedes into the hatch from whence it came.

As I step into the throne room, all of my Toads bow.

"You may rise."

They stand once more, and the head of my council steps forward.

"Council. Your attention," he begins as a 3D model of our world pops up in the middle of the throne room. "Bowser has found the Superstar and is headed toward our kingdom. It's power will make him invincible; we will be destroyed." The model shows his castle floating toward us and devouring the land.

The other Toads in the room begin to panic.

"Princess! What are we gonna do?!" a toad pipes up.

"I will not let him hurt you." I walk down the steps into the crowd of Toads. "We are going to stop Bowser."

The same toad pipes up. "How? Look at us. We're adorable!"

They all make adorable eyes at me.

I move over to the 3D model with a confident smile on my face. "I'm going to convince the great Kong army to help us. Together, we'll annihilate that monster!"

The head of the council speaks up. "Their mad king doesn't make alliances! The Kongs will never agree!"

I turn to face him. "I can convince him. I'll leave for the jungle kingdom in the morning."

"Good luck, princess," he calls before gravely whispering, "For all our sakes."

I shut the door behind me and take a deep breath. 

Only to look right and see a mustachioed human running right toward me.