a mentor

AU: Chuuya and Dazai both work for the ADA and Dazai is Chuuya's mentor. He also has a little sister named Sophia.

♡ inspired by the anime high card

It was silent. Quiet in the office of the armed detective agency. 4 of the members were gone on a mission somewhere outside of Yokohama. Fukuzawa was nowhere to be seen and Ranpo was in his little cubicle munching on sweets as per usual.

Dazai was the only person in sight for another mile. He seemed to not have any missions today (which was quite strange for their agency.) Though maybe it wasn't so surprising since they've been bulldozing through their to-do lists.

Laying there, taking in the silence when Ranpo, who appeared to be in a rush, walked out of his cubicle, and dragged Dazai outside stuffing him into a car. "hey. hey! HEY! LET GO OF ME. WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME?" No answer. Not a peep. Just the sound of Ranpo's cape fluttering in the wind.

"Shush! I don't have time to explain."

Feeling a little anxiety rising up, but keeping calm on the outside, Dazai submitted himself to Ranpo and allowed himself to be dragged out of the office.

"To the police station please" Ranpo said to their driver.

Dazai couldn't take it anymore. They were already halfway to their destination and Ranpo hadn't said squat. Breaking the silence he started off with, "Care to explain why I'm here?"

"Oh! Right! Umm....ok so long story short you're gonna be a mentor to some criminal they just caught from the Port Mafia."

"..." Silence from Dazai. Normally he had a fine and dandy time conversing with people but Ranpo really did it this time. He was speechless, left with nothing to say other than a few incoherent noises here and there.

The rest of the car ride was silent. Damnit. That's why he didn't tell me and just dragged me out. But still.....why drag me out when he could've just told me from the beginning and I might've not been so surprised. Dazai thought to himself as he sat in the backseat.

Once they arrived, Ranpo gave him the "shhh" sign as if Dazai were a child. Dazai understood the assignment; however, as a "stay put and let me go in first". Minutes passed and Ranpo was back with a complete stranger. He had ginger hair who looked like he just fought some gang member. Dazai was taken aback to say the least, but not in the sense that Dazai had never fought before. He had, but Fukuzawa (nor the rest of the ADA members) would never dare entrust him to fighting gangs and mafia, especially the Port Mafia.

The ginger looked disheveled and exhausted. His walk was sloppy and you could still see his scars from fighting.

Opening the door, Ranpo urged Chuuya to introduce himself. "Chuuya Nakahara. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to....meet you too." Dazai responded.

"Yay! now that introductions are over, let's head back to the office. Chuuya, you're going to have your own bedroom......" Ranpo trailed off as Dazai's consciousness shifted from Ranpo's voice to the inside of his own mind. I wonder what type of person he is

"Could you do me the favor of showing Chuuya around?"

"Sure" Dazai replied, half-heartedly

As they wandered around the halls of the ADA, the question Dazai had previously entertained kept coming back to his conscious mind. He also wanted to break the silence and not damage his first impression with him any further so he led with this: "Hey so what was fighting with the Port Mafia like?"

"..." After a brief moment of silence Chuuya replied with, "It was....okay. It wasn't the greatest thing ever but at least I would get an adrenaline rush every time I did fight."

"Oh alright thanks for telling me." Dazai said politely for the first time in a century.

Dazai would then go on to explain how the ADA operates/operated while they strolled around the city.

.

.

A few months had now passed since Chuuya joined the Armed Detective Agency. He was fitting in just fine with the rest of the members, and while their initital interactions were quite chaotic, they overcame all of that and helped him settle in.

Dazai on the other hand was falling behind on his work. He kept procrastinating on writing his reports, skipping meeting days (which were once a month not to mention), and was often found slacking off on missions. Ranpo had suspicion that Dazai was working with some other organization but he wasn't 100% convinced as Dazai had been with the ADA for so long. What would it take for Dazai to betray the ADA? And if he found a reason, why?

This one question would ring in Ranpo's head for the coming week. He never suspected what was coming, no one did. No one could've. Dazai was known as the funny  youngest brother amongst the ADA brethren. He got along with everyone, everyone got along with him.

.

.

A few months after a few months later, Chuuya got to shadow Dazai on one of his missions. Coincidentally, the most important mission of Dazai's career. Dazai had gone into a slump that showed he had stopped caring about his missions and the ADA all together. The brunette had become distant with his colleagues and would sprint home right after work ended.

This behavior went on several months. Why? Nobody knew. Dazai was a very social person; despite this however, nobody ever really cared to check up on him. He never wished anyone to either. Seeing as though he never really shared much about his personal life, he preferred to keep it a secret.

On a random Tuesday morning however, Dazai wouldn't show up to work. He wouldn't show up to work at all. There were days in which Dazai didn't feel like showing up to work but still forced himself to and managed to get his butt in the door by 10 o'clock sharp. That Tuesday he didn't even go. His phone was turned off, his office line was turned off, and he stopped checking his emails for the first time in 3 years that day.

It was pure bliss. Peace. All Dazai had to accompany him were his thoughts, and his thoughts alone.

.

.

"Can somebody explain to me why idiot Dazai hasn't shown up to work for the past week?" Ranpo said

author's note: I give up. this is unfinished and im leaving it like that.
and this is the exact reason why you don't start a story one day then leave a week in between every single time you write something new!!!1!