Chapter 12

Phayu stood outside Rain's door, waiting for him to emerge. He knew that Rain must be confused about why he had not come in to have breakfast but he was both worried about what he might say and also afraid someone would see them. The house had been more active this morning with staff around every corner. Phayu wasn't entirely sure who might appear in the long hallway.

Finally opening the door, Rain looked from Phayu to the floor which was empty.

"Morning P'Phayu. Why didn't Bun Ma bring breakfast and why didn't you come in?"

"Hold on," he replied, dialing his phone, and lifting it to his ear. Phayu whispered a few things into the phone, loud enough for the person on the other end to hear, but not loud enough for Rain to overhear. Ending the call, Phayu watched Rain standing nervously, hands clasped behind his back, waiting for Phayu to say something.

Phayu knew he would have to answer but he prayed there would not be much time for a long conversation. He wasn't sure he could handle it. Even though his mind rehearsed these moments endlessly, when the time arrived the words he'd practiced bled down to the floor, leaving nothing behind. Left him with nothing to say. No way to respond. So, even though he knew it was unfair to Rain, he tried to avoid these conversations.

"Your father invited some guests for brunch and you're required to attend," Phayu finally managed to say.

Just as Rain was about to respond, probably asking who was coming, Bun Ma appeared. Phayu sighed in relief knowing Bun Ma would step in and answer the difficult questions.

"Rain, let's hurry, I should have woken you up earlier. You need to shower and get dressed. I'll help pick out your clothes," Bun Ma said, pushing Rain back into the open doorway. Phayu watched as Rain disappeared, head turned, curiously watching Phayu's tense face.

********************************************************

"Bun Ma, what is going on? My father never makes me eat with his business partners. He says I'm embarrassing. So why now?"

Bun Ma placed a hand on Rain's cheek, "I'm sorry Rain, I know this is not what you want to hear from me and you'd rather it be one of those business partners. But, your father invited Yihwa and her parents for brunch, so your families could get to know one another."

Bun Ma watched Rain freeze, whispering, "What?"

"I'm so sorry Rain. I wish I could fix this for you."

"But, why? I never talked to my father about if it even went well. Why Yihwa and not Amara? If my father was going to do this, I would have preferred Amara."

"Regardless of our feelings on the matter, you must shower and get ready. Best to not make your father angry. Yes?" Bun Ma knew that she had to get Rain to make an appearance. She could imagine what his father's response would be if Rain didn't show up. She was already nervous as it was, worrying about Phayu and Rain, and their future. She didn't need to worry about Rain not showing up. As for how the meeting would go and how Rain would handle it, well, that was out of her hands. She would not be present for the meeting, beyond helping in the kitchen and serving the meal.

Steering Rain towards the bathroom, she turned on the shower and retrieved a towel from the cabinet.

"Rain, clothes, honey. You need to get into the shower. C'mon," she said tugging at Rain's shirt.

The movement of his shirt seemed to wake Rain from his stupor. He wordlessly stripped and got into the shower as Bun Ma left, shutting the door, leaving it open a crack so she could check on him if he took too long.

A short while later she heard the water turn off and Rain emerged wrapped in a towel. He looked so small and scared. Her heart ached for all the damage his father had done to him. For the unfairness of his life. She loved Rain like a son, having spent her days raising him when his parents wouldn't.