16| inevitable

It was late at night when you returned home from training

Ren was walking you home.

It had been a couple of weeks since you had seen a particular demon and you had grown numb while waiting for him to appear.

The night was quiet, the air cool and you wanted nothing more than to get some rest.

Despite that, you felt sorry for the man beside you. It looked like a storm was about to come in and yet he had insisted on walking you home.

"I'm sorry," you said.

"Sorry for what?" Ren asked.

"I'm taking up all your time. You've been training me every day," you looked up at the sky, "and it's going to rain soon..."

"It's alright...I don't mind it..."

You looked at him skeptically, "Really?"

He nodded, "I actually like spending time around you (Y/N)."

Your feet stopped.

Huh?

You looked up at Ren and he looked at you with a calm expression. He didn't seem to be phased at all by the words he had just said.

To you, it sounded a bit like a confession.

"I'm sorry?"

"You heard me."

"..."

You tilted your head at him, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

He shook his head, "No."

He was hiding back a smirk. You could see it.

"..."

"Well then, I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm happy that you're my trainer."

He gave a nod before he continued walking. It took you a second or two to follow as you watched from behind him. What was that just now?

Did Ren...like you or something?

You weren't going to ask him directly but your mind was unable to focus after what he said. The whole walk back to your home was weird after that.

Had he offered to train you so he could spend time with you?

Had that been his motive the whole time?

The next time he spoke you were in front of your cottage, "You should go inside."

"O-Okay."

You gave him a strange expression to which he chuckled before you opened the door and closed it behind you.

What the--

"I thought you hated him?"

You jumped.