04| sword

You reached your hands far above your head as you stretched your aching muscles out

You reached your hands far above your head as you stretched your aching muscles out. You had just finished helping the carpenter with some errands and you were returning home. You didn't mind helping people out--the villagers were all very kind. They helped support you and your mother after your father had died in the warring states, even when they didn't have to.

You liked everyone. Well, almost everyone.

"Hello, (Y/N)."

Your eyes snapped up. You frowned. Speak of the devil.

It was Ren.

He was a stubborn man. Annoying in every sense of the word, and one of the only swordsmen in the village. He knew about your ambition to be a swordswomen and thought it was a terrible idea.

"What are you doing around here? Shouldn't you be in your cottage or something?"

You promptly ignored him, trying to walk around his tall figure but gasped when he took a hold of your arm.

"I'm talking to you," he growled.

You looked up at him, "Get your hands off of me."

"And if I don't?"

You stayed quiet.

"Are you still interested in being a swordswomen? If you're not, we could use someone to clean up after us."

"Let go of me!"

You yanked him off of you.

He stepped backwards looking at you with a shocked expression.

"We have nothing to talk about! Go bully someone else!"

You stormed off not bothering to look back.

Ren watched you from a distance smirking at your reaction.

You were always so defiant.

It riled something in him.

He thought you were cute.

You made your way all the way back home, your feet rushing as you shut the door rather aggressively.

Your mother who was cleaning looked up from the floor she was sweeping curiously. Her bright beautiful eyes looked at you carefully before she frowned.

"Is there something wrong?"

Seeing her calm demeanour made you relax a bit, "Yeah..."

You sighed, "It's just Ren and the others...they keep telling me they've never seen a woman yield a sword properly," your inner doubt started to blossom, "I don't know if I'll ever be able to yield a sword."

"Not this again."

You bit your lip, "I'm serious. Whenever I try to learn from them they always shun me away. It's no use."