(M/N) squatted down and Ultear positioned herself over (M/N)'s shoulder, the way she rode on Denki. (M/N) slowly straightened his legs and, with his knees locked, he could manage her. Denki had Katsuki slung across his back now as they moved forward, Denki leading, (M/N) following in the trail he broke through the vines.

On the fog came, silent and steady and flat, except for the grasping tendrils. Although (M/N)'s instinct was to run directly away from it, he realised that Denki was moving at a diagonal down the hill. He was trying to keep a distance from the gas while steering them towards the water that surrounded the Cornucopia.

Yes, water, (M/N) thought as the acid droplets bore deeper into him. Now he was so thankful that he didn't kill Denki, because there was no way he would have gotten Katsuki out of here alive without him. He was so thankful to have someone else on his side, even if it was only temporary.

It wasn't Ultear's fault when (M/N) started falling. She was doing everything she could to be an easy passenger, but the fact is, there was only so much weight (M/N) could handle. Especially now that his right leg seemed to be going stiff. The first two times he crashed to the ground, he managed to make it back on his feet, but the third time, he couldn't get his leg to cooperate. As he struggled to get up, it gave out and Ultear rolled off onto the ground before him. (M/N) flailed around, trying to use the vines and trunks to right himself.

Denki was back by his side, Katsuki hanging over him. "It's no use," (M/N) said. "Can you take them both? Go on ahead, I'll catch up." A somewhat doubtful proposal, but (M/N) said it with as much certainty as he could muster.

He could see Denki's eyes, gold in the moonlight. (M/N) could see them clear as day. Almost like a cat's, with a strange reflective quality. Maybe because they were shiny with tears. "No," Denki said. "I can't carry them both. My arms aren't working." His arms were jerking uncontrollably at his sides. His hands were empty. His trident was in Katsuki's hands. "I'm sorry, Ultear. I can't do it."

What happened next was so fast, so senseless, (M/N) couldn't even move to stop it. Ultear hauled herself up, planted a kiss on Denki's forehead, and then hobbled straight into the fog. Her body disappeared from view, but (M/N) heard her hit the ground.

He wanted to scream, but his throat was on fire. He took one futile step in her direction when he heard the cannon blast, knew that her heart had stopped, that she was dead.

"Denki?" (M/N) called out hoarsely, but he had already turned from the scene, already continuing his retreat from the fog.

Dragging his useless leg behind him, (M/N) staggered after Denki, having no idea what else to do.

Time and space lost meaning as the fog seemed to invade (M/N)'s brain, muddling his thoughts, making everything unreal. Some deep-rooted animal desire for survival kept him stumbling after Denki and Katsuki, continuing to move, although he was probably dead already. Parts of him were dead, or clearly dying. And Ultear was dead.

Moonlight glinting on Denki's blonde hair, beads of searing pain peppering (M/N), a leg turned to wood. He followed Denki until the male collapsed to the ground, Katsuki still on top of him. (M/N) seemed to have no ability to stop his own forward motion and simply propelled himself onwards until he tripped over their prone bodies, just one more on the heap.

This is where we all die, (M/N) thought. But the thought was abstract and far less alarming than the current agonies of his body. He heard Denki groan and managed to drag himself off the others. Now (M/N) could see the wall of fog, which had taken on a pearly white quality. Maybe it was his eyes playing tricks, or the moonlight, but the fog seemed to be transforming. It was becoming thicker, as if it had pressed up against a glass window and was being forced to condense. (M/N) squinted harder and realised the fingers no longer protruded from it. In fact, it had stopped moving entirely.