Chapter Nineteen - Two Halves of the Same Heart

Start from the beginning

—————
I jolt awake, dazed by the bright lights in my eyes. It takes a few moments to recognize my surroundings, the unpleasant scenery of my classroom and the judgemental stares of a few of my classmates.

"If there's an issue with my teaching, Ms. Dupain-Cheng, please feel free to let me know why I seem to bore you so much." The teacher frowns at me, causing a lump to grow in my throat.

"S-sorry, nothing is wrong, I'll pay better attention." I gulp, eyes shifting to see everyone looking at me. My pulse races, most of these people are my friends, I'm sure they're not thinking anything mean about me.

Or they all see me as the loser I am, unable to even stay awake in class.

A pressure of someone's knee presses against my own, and I quickly turn to see Adrien smiling apologetically to me. His knee brushes against mine again, almost exactly like he knows the thoughts in my head.

I watch the clock tick by, counting the minutes until lunch rolls around.

When the bell rings, I'm fast to slip out of the room in the mass of all my other classmates before the teacher can pull me aside to give me detention.

"Hey! Marinette! Slow down! Trying to skip out on our date?" Adrien jogs to catch up, an amused expression lacing his features.

"I-I, uh, no! Not at all! I just didn't want-"

"To get in trouble, I know, don't worry. Just teasing you." He smiles, reaching out to offer me his hand. I hesitate, staring at his limb like it's a weapon being used to hold me hostage.

"Relax, Marinette. I won't bite." He chuckles, my eyes snapping up to his face. This isn't the Adrien I know, he's acting so much more bold. I grab his hand, lacing my fingers through his.

I like confident Adrien. I don't know what's changed, but I like it.

"You seem different." I smile, trying to make conversation with him as we walk out of the front doors. I'm not sure if he has anything planned, but I'll leave it up to him to decide.

"Different? How?" I hear the slight panic in his voice, looking over to see his serious expression and laser focused eyes on me.

"N-not different bad! Different good, more confident. That's all I meant, I'm sorry if I offended you." I stumble out, quickly trying to fix whatever I said that caused him to look so panicked.

"Oh, I mean I just hope I always seemed confident." He admits, rubbing the back of his neck with an awkward but cute lopsided smile.

"You are, trust me." I settle with just saying that, not wanting to make the situation any worse.

It's so strange to have such strong feelings for two very different people. The attractiveness of both Adrien and Chat Noir is unparalleled, but their differences are so vast. Where Adrien is a people-pleasing sweet boy with such a gentle air around him, Chat Noir is confident and knows what he wants. Chat isn't afraid to pursue what his heart desires, putting himself first, being extroverted and charming in his own goofy way.

Adrien will always put everyone's needs above his own. He's more introverted, keeping his thoughts to himself and carefully selecting the right things to say and do. He's more serious, more sincere.

Having someone like Adrien love me would probably feel amazing.

With that being said, being loved by Chat Noir is so fun. It's thrilling, electric and passionate. When Chat Noir loves, he loves with his whole heart.

Adrien Agreste and Chat Noir are two halves of the same heart; put together they'd make the most perfect person.

I shake my head, mentally kicking myself for comparing them. They're fantastic in their own ways, hence why I have such confusing feelings for the both of them.