CHAPTER 8『INFILTRATION』

Start from the beginning

Artemisia scoffed at the guards, and we passed inside the mansion shrouded in darkness, unopposed.

I stole a glance at her.

"Thank you, Noria. Oh, sorry, I mean Artemisia."I said, smiling under the darkness.

"It is nothing, Your Highness. Please, after you."she said, opening the big door in front of me, leading to the inside of the mansion of the Ylva's.

The whole place was packed.

Many young maidens my age, were walking around and around, talking to themselves and chuckling, others playing with instruments, others drinking tea, all of them forming many different human "wells", circling around one another.

I am inside. From behind me, Artemisia closed the door, and allowed me to take the lead, walking in the front.

Almost immediately, the room froze upon our entry inside the Ballroom.

From the crowd, emerged Anastasia, her head and nose arrogantly above all else. She seemed pretty confident in her plan sending an assassin my way, thinking this will be enough to take me out.

I reinforced my façade by kneeling down upon her presence, always with a smirk on my face.

"My lady..."I said, bowing my head down at her.

"Good..."she whispered my way, and turned her head, addressing the crowd.

"People of the Empire! I have invited you today in my humble home, to commemorate something truly special."she said, walking in the front of the room.

"Something special", was it? Oh yeah, it really is special, my dear...just you wait.

"The previous week, I have been orchestrating the liberation of Gelida from the tyranny that has befallen us! An ill omen indeed! Its name? Bernadotte Vespertite, the Evil Princess of Longnor!"shout with pathos my heated adversary.

"And, from our latest guest, I can say with great pleasure, that I have reached the end goal; my mission, has been successful. Just now, I have received confirmation of the Princess' death. You should see it too, oh yes, you should!"said Anastasia, letting me stand up.

I walked next to her, holding the bloody bag on my hand.

"Show them, our advocate of justice! Let it feast upon our eyes the spectacle, worth seeing a thousand times!"said Anastasia, raising her hands dramatically, as I slowly showed the young nobles my accomplishment.

I dropped the "gift" on the floor and let it roll. It was a severed head. A girl screamed at the sight, and some passed out due to the macabre sight.

Anastasia walked to the decapitated head, and grabbed it by its hair.

"Ah. It's so beautiful, I might as well put it on the fireplace."she said, unaware of what will happen next.

Just then, the yellow strands of hair started becoming shorter. The head of Vespertite started changing, moulding itself into another shape.

"Wh-what?"questioned the phenomenon Anastasia in terror. In some seconds, this terror managed to become true horror. A glimpse of Hell for Anastasia.

Now, the characteristics of the head didn't resemble that of mine. No more. They instead, perfectly mimicked Anastasia's appearance.

She screamed, and let the head roll down, with her taking a few steps back.

"What...is the meaning of this?!"she hysterically screamed at my way, pointing at me with her Surger.

"Oh, this? Nothing more but a...parting gift."I said, as the whole Ballroom pointed their Surgers at me.

"You traitor! How dare you! How long have you stood by the Malevolent Princess' side, eh?!"the braver girls circled around me with their Surgers, barking at me.