E I G H T E E N

Harley punched John B in the arm as hard as she possibly could before tackling him in the tightest hug she could muster.

The relief that spread through her body at the sight of her brother stood there with his usual bandanna around his neck was immense.

"I thought DCS got you," she muttered.

"They can't catch me, Harls. I'm too quick." He squeezed her just as tightly, happy she was safe. "Wow. Who would have thought my little sister could actually look pretty and not like a gremlin?"

Harley gasped and punched his arm again. "That is so rude."

"Yeah whatever, Jellyfish." He rolled his eyes. The two siblings laughed happy they could annoy each other again.

"Where have you been, man," Pope hugged JB next followed by Kie.

"You know. Here, there, everywhere."

Kie folded her arms unimpressed.

"Well... guys... My dad is already going to kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope urged wanting the suspense to be dispelled from the group.

JJ shrugged and looked to John B. "Might as well tell 'em. Meanwhile we're gaffed."

The group migrated to the logs around the illuminated fire. Tiny embers flitted towards the ink blotted sky. The flames and the silver moon gave a calm low light to the group.

Harley and Kie both sat beside John B. Pope talk seat beside Kie, leaving the space between him and Harley free. JJ stared at the space before cutting his eyes at Harley. 

"Hey, dude. Move over." JJ had stood over Pope waiting for his friend to budge. 

Harley's heart hummed a little and not in a good way. She fought to keep her features neutral whilst not giving the situation much attention. 

"What? There is literally a space right next to me and Harley."

"Okay. Move up. I want to sit next to Kiara."

This had never happened before. If it wasn't obvious before that something was off between Harley and JJ, it definitely was now. Kie and Pope looked the most confused since they knew about whatever had been going on between the pair. It had only been twenty minutes ago they were seen frolicking around seeming all smitten. 

Harley's cheeks flushed though luckily disguised by the glow of the fire. She shifted awkwardly before speaking up. "John B and I can move over." She made sure her brother couldn't protest by grabbing his arm and tugging him after her. She grabbed her clutch with the money Rose gave to her, it felt extra heavy as she stared over at JJ. She wondered if he'd still take the money?

"So," John B began. "The fold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

"Oh my God. Here we go again with this."

Harley flapped her hand to get Pope to be quiet. "Wait. So, you were missing finding this all out?"

"Kinda. The gold has been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kie sighed.

Pope raised a hand. "I'd like to voice my skepticism."

"I'd like to voice an opinion," Harley mustered. She was still a little lost on the fact John B had been missing finding out about the Royal Merchant and not thinking about checking in with her. She had asked Kie to detour around the island , after she had outrun DCS, in hoped of spotting her curly haired sibling.

JJ made a noise of dissatisfaction that caught everyone's attention as he rolled his eyes. "No one wants to hear it. Let John B talk."

JJ's cold tone had taken the group aback, all but Harley. Frowns formed at the interaction and questioning gazes were shared. Harley however opted to bite her tongue and act oblivious to the suddenly growing elephant in the room. After all, she had been in the wrong, she would just have to let JJ throw his toys out of the pram the same way he had when she had dated Rafe.