Macarons: Part 1

Hissssss! I sit up, making my bed squeak.

"Stupid Daisy," I say, glaring at the fluffy black cat. The target of her loud hissing, a miniscule mouse, was creeping away at a snail's pace. But it didn't have to worry. Daisy was too lazy to try to catch it.

As if my sleep hadn't already been poor. I'd arrived back at my apartment quite late last night. I rub my eyes.

Getting out of bed, I trip over my crowbar I had left on the ground, and scream in frustration, making Daisy bolt out the room. My toe is aching, but I manage to undress from my sweaty nightclothes and put on my work outfit.

Living in downtown Manhattan was far from easy. It was miles away from my previous life in the suburbs, to say the least. I often felt invisible. I exit my room.

I guess it was a miracle I had found a job at Pâtisserie de France. As a kitchen assistant, though, I was hardly noticed by Chef Christophe, the creator and world-renowned head chef of the pastry shop. With two Michelin Stars to his name, he was one of the best in the world. And he sure had acted like it, the little worm.

I ride the elevator down to ground level and walk onto the bustling street.

Pâtisserie de France is only a hundred or so metres away from the apartment building, so it's an easy walk. Most of the time.

There's a massive and growing crowd around the shop, that happens to be standing in my way.

I groan and push through who knows how many people, until I get to the shop. Or what used to be the shop.

The stunning spotless glass panels that once displayed stunning pastries are shattered. Sharp fragments of glass are all over the pavement. Upturned, broken chairs and tables are scattered inside the shop, a tangled mess of wood and cushion. 

The shop is completely trashed.

I spot my friend and colleague Cameron among the crowd. I had invited him for a drink just yesterday. I jog over to him.

"What happened?" I exclaim, a frown on my face.

"Sam! Thank goodness. I'm so confused. Christophe was found dead this morning—" he says.

"What the. . ." I say raising my eyebrows.

He nods and then whispers, "And the safe was broken open."

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Apr 15, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Macaronsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें