I decided to do Alex first, knowing he hates the wait more than anything.

SMACK!

Alex gave a soft yip at the impact before shifting his feet.

I kept going, and he didn't make another noise until I had given smack number seven. That got me a sad whine.

"Ryleyyyy."

"I know, baby." I mumbled.

SMACK! "OW!"

SMACK! SMACK!

Alex slides his feet back to the floor, he had been standing on his tippytoes, and stands up. He looks at me with sad eyes and snakes a hand back to rub. "C'mere." I mumbled. He rushed forward and crashed into my chest, and I wrapped my non paddle wielding arm around him. Alex is more sensitive to the paddle since Ollie rarely lets me use it on him, so I don't rush him to his room right away. "Sorry." He whispered. "I know. Go on to your room, and I'll come lay with you in a bit." I coaxed. He nodded and headed upstairs, and I turned my attention to my other kid brother.

"I don't know what's going on between you two, but I expect it to stop. You're older, act like it." I scolded.

"Yes, sir." He mumbled. I also knew that punishing Alex first would get through to Ollie. Hearing Alex upset always softens his tough act.

I lay my hand on the small of his back, giving him the physical contact he needs. Oliver relaxes and shuffles a little closer to me so that our legs are touching, and I don't have the heart to move him.

SMACK! SMACK!

He tenses but doesn't react more than that, obviously more used to the feeling.

Oliver doesn't start to squirm until smack six, and he doesn't make noise until the eighth.

SMACK! "O-ow"

SMACK! "mmph"

SMACK! "Ah!"

I toss the paddle onto the other side of the couch and rub gentle circles against his back.

He lays over the back of the couch, whimpering and shifting his weight for a few minutes before pushing himself up. Once he does, he instantly turns to nuzzle into my neck, wrapping his arms around my middle tightly.

"You're okay." I mumbled, hugging back. "I'll be better." He mumbled. "I know, honey." I agreed.

••••••

1 week later

Ryley's pov

I was sitting in my room, scrolling through my emails when my door slammed open. I stood, ready to scold whoever just flung my door open like they pay bills when Alex's teary face came into view.

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked, worried. He didn't answer, just cried harder and barreled into me.

I stumbled back a bit from the force but managed to keep us from tumbling to the floor. Damn, maybe he should try out for the football team with that tackle.

"I can't help if I don't know what's wrong." I said gently.

He shook his head and tried to wiggle even closer to me. "If you get any closer, you're gonna be in my shirt." I laughed, finding him cute.

I realized I wasn't gonna get him to talk anytime soon, so I just leaned down and picked him up, moving to the bed and sitting down with him in my lap.

I went into comfort mode, just rubbing his back and shushing him until his cries tapered off.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong now, honey?" I asked, leaning back so I could see his face.