Slipping from his spot, the Colonel headed back to the black van parked off the dirt road. It's time to move into place. We need to make the call before Dean slips away and causes Cassie more distress. The news of what happened between her father and Dean's uncle all those years ago needs to come from him, not the man who is here to harm her.

"Move in! Keep to the boundary line. He's here, we don't want to scare him off. Keep icy!" The Colonel ordered into the walkie.

Following the Colonel out of the trees, we headed for the road trusting our men to protect Cassie. Limping slightly as I try to regain feeling in my leg, I slap my thigh and shake my leg. Walking in step with my friend, the two of us move silently through the woods.

Dean won't be getting away.

Travis

I knew immediately when I saw the figure slip into the shadows, I had to move. Waiting until morning would be too late to catch the son of a bitch. Dean would expect me to wait until daybreak before I considered leaving Cassie again.

He's preparing for an attack now and will be setting me up for an ambush in the morning. I can't wait any longer. Gently easing out of Cassie's bed, I crept out of the room and down the hall. Stopping abruptly at the sight of Cassie in the nursery's doorway, her arms crossed over her chest. She knows what I'm about to do.

"Get back in there. Lock the door and stay put!" Giving her the order, I walked away leaving her baffled by the way I just left her there.

"Excuse me! You don't give me orders!" She argued following me down the hall.

"I just did! Don't argue with me over this. Cassie, our time is up. I have to go now or we're going to be ambushed. I know how he thinks. This is my job, Cassie. Please, you promised me." Reminding her of her word wasn't necessary but it did what it was intended to do.

Cassie stepped back into the doorway of the nursery. Moving to the far bedroom, I went to the closet and got my gun. I know she's watching me. I know she's listening. What I'm about to do she won't like at all, but this is the only chance we have now. Pulling out my cell phone, I dialed the memorized number, that up until now, I've refused to use.

"Sir, I'm sorry to wake you." I began.

"You didn't, son." The Colonel answered from the safety of the van.

"I think it would be best for you to come get your daughter, sir. Cassie and the baby are fine, but there is trouble and you should be here." I looked over my shoulder at Cassie. The confused look on her face changed as it dawned on her what was about to happen.

"I'm already here." John said, understanding what that meant. He was the backup Mel had hinted at. "The house is secure. Go find Dean, do your job, marine."

I understood the order without the necessity of explanation. Find the enemy and eliminate the threat. It was understood. "Yes, sir."

"My father." Cassie stated, not needing a reply. "He's coming, isn't he?"

"He's here." Turning away from the shocked expression on her face, I pulled out my duffle bag and began to pack.

It hit her instantly what I was doing. "Why are you packing? What are you doing? You're leaving us?"

She was breaking his heart with the fear in her voice. How could she think, after all this, he would walk out on her?

"I'm doing my job, Cassie," I reminded her before turning to see her face. The tears she is holding back are shimmering in her eyes. Quickly, I realized what was running through her head.