T W E N T Y T H R E E

Ariana sat across from Draco on his bed, Theo on his own bed, and listened to what had happened at Malfoy Manor whilst they had not been at school.

It was true, since the night of Professor Dumbledore's death, the Malfoy's had been playing host to the Dark Lord, as well as a number of Death Eaters.

Draco had become proficient in the use of the Cruciatus Curse very quickly as ordered by Voldemort; it had been part of his punishment for not completing his task. When people were brought to the Manor for questioning, whether about the whereabouts of Harry Potter or information regarding the Order of the Pheonix, Draco was the one to perform the curse on them if they refused to give up information. This happened often.

To both Ariana's relief and disappointment, Draco had no information for her on Harry, Ron, and Hermione's location. They were still successfully on the run, Voldemort apparently no closer to finding and capturing them.

Ariana learned how far from grace the Malfoy's had fallen, and the only reason they were all still alive was because Draco had managed to fix the Vanishing Cabinet and let the Death Eaters into the school. Lucius Malfoy was constantly trying to redeem himself now that he was out of Azkaban and this meant putting Voldemort's needs ahead of his family's. Even whilst not in high favour with the Dark Lord, Draco still seemed to hold somewhat significant power within Hogwarts, purposefully trying to stay on the Carrow's good side for as long as possible. He had been made Head Boy for the year, but he knew that the title didn't mean what it used to; he was just the only student in the school who was also a Death Eater and other students feared him more than ever now. The Carrow's seemed to find that amusing.

His plan to keep his distance from Ariana had hurt both of them, but he explained that he needed to ensure that Death Eaters had no reason to pay special attention to her.

"By the way," Draco began, remembering something that had been on his mind. "Where have you been? It's like you and others disappeared for weeks."

Ariana felt slightly uncomfortable divulging secret information, but she had to remind herself who she was talking to. "The Room of Requirement. A bunch of us have been hiding out there." She explained, picking at the bandage on her arm. "It's safer than being in the corridors."

Draco and Theo glanced at each other with guilty expressions.

"I'm sorry." Draco eventually said, not able to meet her eye. "I can't imagine being in danger even walking around the corridors."

"You're in danger in your own home." Ariana reminded him, reaching out and taking his hand. "None of this is your fault."

He scoffed and shook his head. "Debatable."

"Draco." Ariana scolded. "You didn't choose any of this."

Looking up, Draco glanced at Ariana and then over at Theo, who nodded in agreement.

"There's only one person to blame, mate." Theo said. "And it's not you."

Ariana could feel herself becoming tired and she realised that it must have been very late. She knew she would have to get back to the Room of Requirement or her common room, and then it dawned on her; would she have to lose Draco again after tonight? Theo, too? Not only would they have to go back to pretending they didn't know each other, but hating each other? Her heart couldn't take it.

There was no end date on any of this.

She could feel her eyes starting to well up and she hated herself for it. "I better go."

Draco tightened his grip on her hands before slowly bringing them to his lips. He brushed his lips against the backs of them, his grey eyes on her. His pale skin, his white hair, the contrast against his black clothing, the scent of his cologne, sitting on his bed in his dorm room. She had been dreaming of all of it for so long. "Stay with me."