Best Friend's Brother. | Larenz Tate.

Start from the beginning

Nova looked stunning in her red satin dress accompanied by matching stiletto heels. Her small gold hoop earrings, in the shape of a heart, perfectly complemented her plump lips that were coated in clear lip gloss. She carried her Louis Vuitton bag elegantly draped over her right shoulder, while her rich mocha brown complexion glowed in the moonlight. To complete her look, Nova's raven box braids were neatly tied back in a ponytail.

O-Dog had always been a fiercely protective and loving older brother to his sister. Their father was absent from their lives from the beginning and their mother struggled to raise them alone. Unfortunately, she eventually gave up on them when O-Dog started down his wild path. They knew their mother loved them, Determined to be there for his sister, he knew he had to grow up fast and take responsibility for their well-being.

To make ends meet and keep a roof over their heads, O-Dog turned to sell drugs alongside his friend Caine. Despite the risks and the judgment of others, his sister Nova understood the difficult choices he had to make to ensure their survival. Together, he worked hard to keep the bills paid and their heads above water, knowing that they only had each other to rely on.

Despite the challenges, they always had each other's backs. They were a team, and nothing could break their bond, he wanted to provide a better life for his sister.

O-Dog took the driver's seat, with Caine settled into the passenger side and Nova settling comfortably in the back of the truck. The pristine creamy seats and immaculate interior appeared as though they had never been sat in before, giving off a new car scent. O-Dog revved the engine, and they sped off, leaving the quiet neighborhood behind in the dust.

♡♥︎♡

The medium-sized living room hummed with the energy of melanin-rich individuals in varying hues, as they swayed to the seductive rhythms of Janet Jackson's "Any Time, Any Place." The music flowed softly through the narrow corridors of the house, drawing the eyes of the party-goers to Nailah, engaged in conversation with her friends in the far corner of the room. The DJ, with her smooth, dark chocolate skin, stood between two jet-black speakers, effortlessly dancing to the beat while keeping watch over the crowd. Red solo cups, filled to the brim with liquor, passed from hand to hand, as the scent of weed, cologne and perfume mingled in the air. Amidst the overlapping chatter, the walls, painted a soothing shade of lavender, bore witness to the vibrant scene unfolding before them.

Nailah gestured to the DJ to lower the music volume with a wave of her hand. She wanted to hear her friends and her own voice clearly. Tightening her embrace with Nova, she hugged Caine and O-Dog, who reciprocated the gesture. The hug lingered for a moment, causing Caine and Nova to contort their faces. "Welcome to the party, guys!" Nailah's eyes glimmered with happiness. The party was off to a great start.

Nailah looked stunning in her black spaghetti-strap crop top that held her assets firmly in place. Her matching mini skirt accentuated her belly button, while the black stilettos added to her already gorgeous appearance. Her small gold hoop earrings complemented her ginger box braids, which were neatly tied back in a ponytail. Clear lip gloss adorned her full lips, and her brown eyes shone with excitement, as a smile graced her face.

Caine and O-Dog made their way over to the snack table, eager to grab a bite and a drink to sustain them through the long night ahead. As they approached, Nova tugged gently on Nailah's arm, motioning for her to come over to the corner of the room where she stood with a scrunched-up face of irritation. Nailah looked at her friend with confusion etched on her face, wondering what was bothering her.

"What's the deal with that hug you gave my brother?" Nova asked, her eyes squinting with suspicion. "Are you two fucking?"

Nailah waved her friend off, shaking her head in denial. "No way, girl. We're just friends," She lied, taking a sip of her drink to avoid eye contact.