How you met - The Allies

AMERICA|ALFRED F. JONES

It was late in the day. The sun was beginning to set, which meant your shift was almost done. Thank God.

You work at McDonalds after struggling for months just to find a job that was enough to pay for rent and necessities, and at first you loved your job. Who wouldn't love to work at their favourite comfort food restaurants but having to work the register for people who were most times rude or over polite, the comfort food seemed to be less and less that and more of a daily stress.

A few times people have commented that working at McDonalds was low social grade work and not how a promising young person should be spending their lives, but it was easy for them to say, almost 4 years of university down the drain just because you found it hard to work with people, the pressure and anxiety too much to handle and so your dream of working as a nurse was too far away for you to see any longer.

Now you walk home covered in grease and the smell of the oily fryers clinging to you. Just as it did every other night and a hot, steamy shower seemed like bliss, but alas there was still 25 minutes of your shift left and every penny counts at this point.

Ready to take the next order, you call forward the next in line, and instantly irritation gritted at your pounding head, the voice was loud, obnoxious and hyperactive, but you did your best to ignore the vexing tone and focused on his order.

Too focused on trying to focus it took a moment to register you'd typed in for 18 big macs, 2 milkshakes, and apple pie and to top it off a Mcflurry. Your fingers stopped moving across the register screen as you double take and rubbed your eyes in case it was the tiredness making you see things.

The number just didn't seem to fit in your head no matter how many times you went over them, was he ordering for at least 18 people? You look up, finally taking in the appearance of the customer. His dirty blond hair shined in the lighting as much as his baby blues did behind his glasses, staring right at you, shimmering.

A Hollywood smile plastered his face when he noticed you staring and you could have sworn you'd seen his teeth sparkle almost making you self-conscious of your own smile, which dropped slightly. He was most definitely tall towering at least a foot above you before you cleared your throat, hoping it would clear the lump that had formed. It didn't, but you spoke anyway, "I'm sorry sir did you say 18 big macs?" your voice wavered slightly and could feel the shocked and irritated eyes of co-workers staring at the back of your head.

The man bellowed a laugh, normally it would have just annoyed you but you were too taken back by his appearance, it wasn't often they found not only a handsome, but very well-dressed customer ordering face to face given they were located in the region of town that was too out of the way to drop in and order so usually it was people passing through or the delivery drivers, never someone in a suit and tie like this guy..

By now the place had hushed, both customers and staff curious as to what was going on, "Well yeah dudette, actually can you add a large fries with that I'm starving!" Your jaw hit the floor; they were all for him?! Not only that, but he also wanted MORE stuff. Originally, you'd thought you made a mistake since most of the time you just absentmindedly added whatever they said due to the repetitive work which did lead to mistakes in the past but of all times you were not mistaken was with him?

You gulp as you smile nodding, a shaky hand adding to his order as some disgruntled groans come from your co-workers. After all, they were already busy with the online orders, but knew they had no choice. The shaking not going away, you hand him his ticket order and smile the best you can, "h-here's your ticket sir please wait for them to call your number!"