8 ~ Tossing and Turning

Start from the beginning

I tossed and turned for what felt like hours, don't get me wrong I was comfortable and the fire was doing a good job at keeping me warm but for some unknown reason I just could not sleep. Today had been a whirlwind. Suddenly whisked away to a magical land filled to the brim with wonderous beings, mysterious legends and most of all, I was here with him, with Edmund. I couldn't believe my luck.

I sat up and gazed mindlessly into the fire, frustrated with my conscious state. As much as I wanted to sleep I was not overly tired. However, I was not fond of the fact that I was the only one awake. I twiddled my thumbs in a poor attempt to pass time. Night in Narnia was extremely peaceful, I thought, especially for the 'savage' place trumpkin expressed it as.

After an unfortunate cloud of smoke from the campfire blew my way I began to cough, even though I was attempting to cough as discreetly as possible, A figure shot up from across the fire. Edmund.

"Amy?" whispered the silhouette.

"yes?" I replied through a cough "Edmund?"

"yeah," he said rather tiredly "what are you doing awake?"

by this time my coughing had ceased and I whispered "choking obviously"

I heard a muted chuckle above the crackling of the fire.

"do we still have some water left?" I asked softly.

"no were out" Edmund sighed "come with me we will go to the brook"

"okay" I responded. After grabbing my bow and arrows I silently followed Edmund into the dark woods. We walked far enough from the fire that the light had completely dissipated. "Edmund I cant see where I'm going" I said grabbing his arm.

"that's why," he lifted his other arm and I could make out a longish object in his hand "I brought this" A click rang through the silent Night air and suddenly the forest was illuminated with a warm circular light. His torch. of course.

"good thinking" I said still holding onto his arm.

Edmund hummed in response and rubbed his eyes.

"sorry I woke you up" I said looking up at him as we walked. I'm not quite sure how he knew where he was going but then again he did live here for fifteen years.

"its not a problem Amy, to be honest I have been tossing and turning all night and I needed a drink myself anyway" He answered reassuringly.

"I haven't been able to sleep either" I said.

"Might be all the excitement of coming to Narnia." He suggested.

"Yeah maybe" I shrugged.

We continued our walk through the dark woods. I had not let go of Edmunds arm, I felt a little uneasy. We were surrounded by darkness and had no way of knowing what may be near.

Edmund looked down at my hands which were stuck to his arm as if they were glued. He chuckled.

"What's so funny?" I said with a playful tone.

"The way you're clinging onto Me for dear life" he laughed.

"Oh alright then" I said rather defiantly, a stupid smile plastered on my face "ill let go."

"I was just joking you know, I don't mind it." He looked forward as he spoke, smiling.

We continued our sleepy walk through the woods. And approached the brook just as miniscule rays of light began to warm the sky.

"its morning already" I said

"bit of an obvious statement" Joked Edmund.

"oi! I just didn't realise that I had been up that long." I replied shaking my head at his idiotic remark.