𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Beginne am Anfang

"You guys aren't leaving?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. Even though I was happy to see them here, I didn't want any of them getting caught in the crossfire between me and Huxley. Georgie shook his head and walked up to me. "You promised me that you were going to let us help," he explained, causing my chest to tighten. "I'm not about to break that promise on my end." I simply nodded in understanding before speaking once more. "Speaking of which, I do need your help with something," I informed Georgie, who seemed happy at my response.

"I need you to-"

A loud explosion followed by a purple glow cut me off. My head whipped to find the source, but I saw tons of soldiers passing me with guns and tactical shields. Orders were being barked all over, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. My expression instantly turned serious as I faced Georgie once more. "I'm going to see what's going on," I informed him before following the soldiers. "I'll be right back!"

Civilians started to evacuate at a faster and more desperate pace, which made it difficult for me to keep up with the soldiers. Commands from the army were drowned out by the sounds of horrified screams from those who were trying to escape. Eventually, I noticed the soldiers with the shields lining up in front of two large tanks, and I managed to get a small glimpse of a familiar purple portal. All the while an even more familiar purple mist began to coat the ground.

Liam and Oliver were on one of the tanks, so I quickly rushed over and climbed onto the vehicle. "Liam! Oliver!" I called out, keeping my voice quiet as I got up next to them. "What's going on?" They didn't respond, so I turned to see what they were looking at. Surely enough, one of his portals stood a few yards away with the purple mist creeping out of it. Two figures stood in front of it, a man and a woman, and as the former noticed my presence, my eye widened.

"Hey there, kiddo!"

It was Mom and Dad.

I felt my fingers sink deep into the tank's metal surface as rage began to flow through my veins. Huxley was still toying with me with their bodies. Did he not have a single ounce of respect for the deceased? My body moved on its own as I pulled my rifle from my back and aimed it at my "father" in a blind rage. "Hey, hey, calm down, bud," I heard Liam whisper as he held my arms in place, preventing me from pulling the trigger. Dad held his hands up as if he was surrendering.

"Whoa, calm down there, buddy," he said with a laugh. "We aren't here to fight you. We just want to give you a message." I looked at Liam from the corner of my eye and lowered my weapon. After returning it to my back, I stood up and got off the tank. It didn't take me long to realize what Dad meant by his message. I didn't have much time. I needed to find Georgie and give him the bag as fast as I could. Fortunately, he was standing a few feet away from both the tank and his family.

"Georgie, I need your help," I repeated before practically shoving the bag into his hands. "This bag has things that The Insolence can't ever get to. I need you to keep it safe for me, and don't open it until I tell you to. Okay?" Georgie seemed surprised at first, but he quickly nodded. At that moment, I took a deep breath, and it cost a lot of effort for me to release it. This was when I would have to break the news to him. "Georgie..." I began, biting my lip for a moment before continuing.

"...I'm going to confront him head-on."

As expected, his expression immediately dropped. "What...?" He muttered shakily. His family also seemed surprised at my decision, but that didn't matter to me. "He's been implying that he wants to do this face-to-face, so I'm going to beat him at his own game, but I have to make it seem like I'm giving him what he wants." My best friend slowly shook his head. "N-no, Cindy, you can't! You'll be killed!" He protested. I looked to my left and saw a group of soldiers that chose to stay. And soon, my lips were parting.

"Get them out of here. Take them somewhere safe," I ordered. And much to my surprise, they listened. The last thing I saw before turning around to walk back to the tank was the group walking towards Georgie and his family. A ringing began to fill my ears, drowning out the sounds of my best friend's desperate calls for me. "I'm sorry, G..." I apologized in my head as I bit my lip. "...but I have to do this. For the world. For Lucella. For its people. For you."

When I climbed back onto the tank, I stopped at the top for a brief moment before turning around to face Oliver and Liam. "You two need to leave, as well," I told them. "I need you and Catherine to monitor me through these devices you gave me." Without waiting for a response, I climbed down the other side of the tank and landed on the pavement below before looking up at my late parents. Then, with my head high and my shoulders straight, I began to walk towards them.

"Alright, you have my attention now," I called out, remaining careful and alert in case they tried anything. "Talk." Dad crossed his arms as his black and orange eyes narrowed slightly. Mom was the one who spoke up, though. "Well, we'd like to start off by apologizing for your sister's behavior. It was wrong of her to do what she did, and Terence is currently... disciplining her." I raised an eyebrow at Mom. Discipline? Rose, my once perfect older sister, was being disciplined? That was a first.

"And as for you... he'd like to speak with you in person and come up with a solution to our current situation."

My eye widened, and I had to hold myself back from smirking right then and there. I had to keep up the facade I had if I was going to get close to Huxley and take him down. Taking a deep breath to pull myself together, I glanced at Mom once more. "Tell him that I'll be there," I muttered in a low tone. Mom's eyes narrowed and her smile grew wider at my response. "He'll be waiting for you," she responded. "You know where to find him."

And with that, my late parents turned around and walked away.

I watched them until they dissappeared through the portal that seemed so close yet so far. My heart began to pound in my chest as I turned to look behind me. No one was there. Taking a deep breath, I began to walk towards the same portal that forced me to see the unthinkable over three years ago. As I got closer and closer, I reflected on the past. I suppose the rumors of one's life flashing before their eyes really were true. I had hopes, I had regrets, and I had so many things I wanted to do, but for the greater good, I had to put them aside.

Right as I was about to step into the portal, a figure appeared in front of me.

I couldn't tell the figure's gender due to the cloak it had on. Unlike my sister's, this one cast a shadow over its whole face. The rest of its body was covered, and the only distinct details I could see were the bones it had for hands and the scythe that stood next to it. At that moment, I knew who it was, what it was. I've seen the stories, I've heard the rumors, but I've never seen it face to face. I wondered if my family saw it back then, too. But I couldn't panic. Not now. I only had one shot at this, and I needed to focus on making sure it goes perfectly. Taking a deep breath, I began to walk once more.

And without sparing a second glance, I walked past Death itself and was enveloped by the light.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

So sorry for the late chapter. There's been a tragic death in my family, and I have my final in two days, so I've been really stressed out.

On a lighter note, I've been planning stories for other fandoms as well! This story is my main priority right now, but I'm hoping to get those started when I'm done with this one!

"To Hold On" is entering its final arc, and I hope you all are excited to see how this portion of the story ends!

Sit back, and hold on tight to your seats.

And finally, enjoy the show :)

🍿