T W E N T Y T W O

Start from the beginning

They had changed.

The Malfoy's were hosting Voldemort in their Manor and Draco had changed because of it.

Ariana silently begged Draco to look at her, give her a sign that he was still there under that overconfident, smarmy expression.

Travers turned back to the girls, his face slightly red. "Get back to studying!" He barked at them before stalking off.

In the next moment, Draco, Theo, and Goyle had also turned to leave, not giving Ariana or Lavender a second thought. Ariana rushed forwards to clutch Lavender, not allowing herself to cry in front of anyone, especially Draco.

*****

A couple weeks went by, and a 'safe place' was developed by students. The Room of Requirement became a haven for students to get away from Death Eaters, a lot of people resorting to sleeping in there and even skipping classes.

The corridors had quickly become vandalized and unsafe, so it was rare to find anyone loitering around between classes.

Not everybody knew about the set up the Room of Requirement had provided, the room seemingly not presenting itself to those in favour with the Death Eaters. Beds, hammocks, and sleeping bags had been scattered around the large room for students, giving them a place to hide when their dorms weren't safe.

Draco had slept terribly since that day in the courtyard; having to refer to Ariana as a filthy half-blood had killed a part of him, and he couldn't even tell her it was all an act. He'd barely seen her since then. He had only glimpsed her in classes, hidden behind her long hair, her tiny frame trembling.

Where did she go in between classes? She was never in the Great Hall. Never the Library. He never saw her in the courtyard again. She and her friends had disappeared from the halls.

It had started to agitate him, because he knew she was in the school, and he couldn't see her. It was his own fault.

On Friday evening, Ariana was leaving a late detention with Alecto Carrow that she had shared with multiple other students. She had received the detention for refusing to used the Cruciatus Curse on first year students. She had been left with 'I will learn my place' and 'diluted blood' up her left arm, courtesy of the Blood Quills that were now regularly used within the school.

As she quickly walked through the halls, she held a conjured gauze to her forearm to slow the bleeding, tears pricking the corners of her eyes from the stinging. Ariana couldn't get to the Room of Requirement quick enough, knowing there were several students there who were experienced with healing spells who could help her.

As she turned a corner, her stomach plummeted as she nearly ran straight into Amycus Carrow. All she could do was plead with herself to remain calm; she couldn't take anymore harassment from Death Eaters.

"Winters." He began, a smile spreading across his face. "What a nice surprise. Why are you out so late."

Ariana kept her head down and held our her arm to him. "Just finished detention."

"But your common room is in the opposite direction." He stated, a patronizing tone in his voice.

Knowing she had to think on her feet, Ariana spoke quickly. "I'm bleeding pretty heavily, so I was just going to the closest bathroom."

Before she realized what was going on, Amycus had put his hand under her chin and tilted her head up, forcing her to look at him. "Pretty. I should have you for detention in my office sometime." His eyes dropped from her face down to her chest, then trailed down to her bloody arm. "Pity you're a half-blood. I guess we could keep it a secret."