"I'm assuming we know them?" asked Kuwei narrowing his eyebrows until they almost touched. 

Nina's elation dimmed as Fjerda's answer to the problem of the Dregs rolled over the horizon. A column of tanks had crested the hill and was crashing down the moonlit road, dust rising in plumes from their treads.

It wasn’t until Inej, Zaria, and Wylan were thundering over the trestles of the bridge that Nina could make out what they were yelling: "Get out of the way!"

followed by a loud "for fuck's sake!" from Zaria that echoed around the whole city probably, they leaped from the path as the tank roared past them, then came to a gear-grinding stop.

"We have a tank," admired Nina green eyes wide and sparkling happily, "Kaz, you creepy little genius, the plan worked. You got us a tank," she exclaimed not noticing Matthias's blue eyes landing on her, a small smile on his lips.

"They got us a tank," replied Kaz feeling more proud than ever, Matthias was way too busy admiring his lover and fighting the urge to kiss Nina that he had to pinch himself to look away.

"We have one," Matthias said looking away from Nina, then pointed at the horde of metal and smoke bearing down on them, "They have a lot more."

"Yeah, but you know what they don’t have?" Kaz asked as Jesper rotated the tank's giant gun and Zaria the smaller one, "A bridge."

he should send the zemeni girl and Sharpshooter more on heists together because they looked like partners in crime, rotating tank guns and getting ready to shoot together.

A metallic shriek went up from the armored insides of the tank. Then a violent, bone-shaking boom sounded. Nina heard a high whistling as something shot through the air past them and collided with the bridge

The first two trestles exploded into flame, sparks, and timber plummeting into the gorge below. Zaria turned the gun with all her force and with that both the guns fired again, together.

With a groan, the trestles collapsed completely, now if the Fjerdans wanted to cross the gorge, they were going to have to fly which is impossible.

"We have a tank and a moat," said Nina with a smile, "Climb on!" crowed Wylan, Inej helped Matthias and Nina, but there wasn't a spot anymore.

"hey dirtyhands!" called Zaria from on top leaning against the gun with a beautiful cheeky smile, "there's a spot beside me, darling, or are you afraid?" she gestured to the empty spot beside her.

Kaz rolled his eyes and moved to the other side, her hand was suddenly in front of him, Kaz looked up and could feel his breath hitch.

she was wearing a black and red silk dress that showed her curves, a golden necklace and earrings, a bracelet wrapped around her ankle, and lastly a snake arm cuff.

her black inky hair fell on her shoulders as her champagne eyes met his coffee ones in a way that made his stomach do backflips, her cocky grin turned into a sweet one, and he could see the relief in those eyes he loved.

"I know it will be hard but you need a hand..." she whispered, her black hair falling and shielding the side of her face from the cold wind. 

like a blanket between them, preventing anyone from catching a glimpse of them standing dangerously close to one another.

Kaz was in pure awe, he only stared at her for a hot second, studying every feature to see if anything changed since their last conversation or if she was hurt.

he took her hand and Zaria immediately noticed how freezing he was, Kaz fought his demons, reassuring himself that he was alive and she was standing in front of him, that she was the only one allowed to touch him.