Chapter 38: The One At The Beach

Start from the beginning

"I think it might be a lack of sugar in my body, but you actually make sense..." Shehzer looks slightly dazed at my insane theory, "If I weren't crazy about you, I'd totally let you start petitioning for drug legalization."

I ignored the nose-dive my stomach took at his words; He's crazy about me??? I managed to nod non chalantly, as I worked my way through the ice-creamy part of the dish. It was hidden under a super moist mousse layer, which tasted divine. I think I may have been overly theatrical in my enjoyment, because my audience was irritated.

His eyes darkened as he growled; "You don't have to make those freaking moans when you eat it! It's hard enough watching you gobble it up, I don't need to hear the soundtrack."

I smirked, "You mean this sound?" I popped in another spoonful and Mmmm-ed my way through the entire swallow. EMV is cowering under her bedsheets; 'Stophersomeonepleasestopher! She is auditioning for a bloody TVC here.'

"If you weren't perched on this rock, that damned dessert would be mine." He grunts back. I am feeling quite sick with all the sugar, but I eat some more just to spite him. After a while, I take pity on him and offer him the tiny remaining piece on my plate, he snatches the treat and proceeds to clean up the cake bits. It seems oddly intimate, what with him using my spoon.

"You do know that we might still have some of this stuff leftover with the caterers?" I add casually. He pauses halfway through chewing to glare at me. "Are you kidding me? How can you be so evil woman?"

"That's moi. E-V-I-L. is my middle name. Still sure you want to marry me?" I prod him. I am dreading his answer already. My actions had been pretty low. I know for a fact that I would never marry someone who'd lie about Chocolate. Just goes against the very nature of womanhood.

He stares at me for long moments before sighing and putting the empty plate away. The light ocean breeze is making his dark hair fall lower on his eyes than usual; a tiny chocolate smudge near his stubbled jaw is distracting me.

"Mina? This isn't about me. I know it. You know it. I have had feelings for you since we were little kids." he chuckles at my stunned expression. "Yes. 11-year olds do develop crushes, believe me. I was quite the little pervert..."

I am drawn back to hazy memories of us as kids.

"Can I please be your friend?"

"Can I just shake your hand? Please?"

"You creep! you used to bug me to be your friend all the time!! OMG!" I am howling with laughter now. Shehzer pretends to look offended before he joins me. "I--I-I'm never letting any future daughter of mine play with boys!...they are such pervs!..." I wheeze out.

"If she looks anything like you, we'll have to keep her locked up in a tower." He states firmly. My heart goes crazy at his words, and I suddenly want to run away. I casually stand up and dust off my slightly ruined dress hem. Shehzer stands up too, he is gazing hopefully at me, and it is too much for me. I can't handle this right now. Or maybe ever. This man here can break me. Something Areeb wasn't able to fully accomplish. Can I ever trust him?

"We should get you some real food. I made Ali order a live crab guy!" I chirp overly brightly to him, completely ignoring our moment. He is silent as he helps me navigate the stairs in my dress.

It is almost dusk, so it takes a while for me to spot my heels. By then I was so comfortable with the barefoot sand strolling that I simply stuffed it inside one of Kulsoom Nani's huge carrier bags. She was dozing away on a lawn chair, so she didn't harass Shehzer as I expected her to.

I spot Mom and Dad chatting with some friends. Much to my discomfort, they beam at Shehzer and me, as we make our way towards the open air, live food area we have arranged. One specialty that I had insisted on were the local crab guys. Karachi beach has like hundreds of these indigenous fishermen who catch and cook live crabs for a living. It is amazing seeing them catch stuff straight from the beach for us to eat. Slightly barbaric, but totally cool! I am not really a big fish fan, but crabs and shrimp are my favorite, and I am crazy about watching the crab guys prepare our food in a tiny portable wok.