A simple "No" would suffice

The yellow lamp flickered in the dark, distant yet warm, "So, you wish to be held?", she asked. The lamp illuminated his face warm and stone cold at the same time.

"I do, is it that hard for you to simply extend your arms?", he could be practically begging at this point. Liam took this as nothing more than a brief hug, not the embrace of eternity, Lyla did.

"Not really, but I do know the cost of extending my arms, offering my heart, I'm not used to wearing my heart on a sleeve," said she, knowing full well all the pain she has ever encountered was exactly because she wore her heart on her sleeve.

"You don't have to, just tell me I'm worthy enough of being held, and hold me, just a while, it's not too much is it?", he was brimming with both confusion and passion for the unknown. His head was swirling now, regardless, he hadn't yet understood the rejection, she wasn't begging him to relieve her pain, that could only be done by removing himself from the situation entirely.

"No, but why do you ask me? I cannot offer what you ask of...
and I'm sick thinking you only ask me for your outlandish favors.", unable to let her emotions resurface and make a fool out of her she chirped back. Neither turned their backs on each other, all this, extended a lot for nothing.

"How are they outlandish, it is simply affection?" A hand reached for the knob on the lamp, the lamp light grew, an impatiently fluttering moth landed on its glass, it's wings stuck to the hot glass, melting it to uselessness.

My life has never been simply affection, its always how and why and for what purpose, Liam. Something Lyla wished to say, but she wasn't so impulsive that she'd utter such foolery. Instead she parted her lips to say,

"..its not a simple hug,

ill be torn apart, let me be.

Ask someone else."

"What do you mean, well then you won't have to tear yourself apart.", tsk, tsk, impatient men don't win love.

"You can't make that happen", Lyla, at the moment, seemed to have no idea she could leave and that she was free to turn on her heel and not see his face again, but such a disgrace to her sanity, she kept conversing, waiting for him to get the hint. I often wonder if some women do not have the courage of being disliked, of being resented, Lyla seemed to have been struggling really hard with exactly this.

"I've no one else to ask for favors, once only, I don't understand why is a simple favor sounds so outlandish to you.", the young man has now uttered so many words that ought not be, specially after the dusk, isn't his time to return to his humble abode already come.

"Consider my heart, Liam its not just a favor, its the dread of the untouched, do not expect me to be of any use to you, I'm not what you want.. why does your heart want from me only, I understand your disposition but I can't offer you any calm.

I'm amidst the storm myself", Lyla was this close to getting disrespectful, anger bubbling under her skin.

"We can make it happen, Lyla."

-snap-

"You are awfully wishful!! You, do not enrage me any further."

"..well then."