CHAPTER 1

Observing the roseate sky, Ria fixes her sapphire blue eyes upon a stray cloud, following it until it's hidden amidst the spreading blue. Trees and buildings whizz by as her eyes try to latch upon one of the two, unsure which one would suit her interest the most. Her cinnamon brown hair made into a messy braid, all the while she listens to the instrumental of Young and Beautiful that her earpods played. Music was her refuge; a haven where she could retreat and no one could intrude no matter how hard they tried.

Sitting amidst her classmates, she remains isolated as they are already quite used to her lack of indulgence in general conversations. Her thoughts wander anywhere but straight, from the cafe, to the unfinished assignments, to the unsubmitted work that's been sitting on her computer longer than she'd like to admit. She is so absorbed in the world that she created for herself, that she doesn't even notice the blonde-hair girl sitting beside her, who has been observing her for quite some time now.

Ultimately, her headphones were yanked out and the melody reaching her ears suddenly ceased. "Gosh... I could have robbed you and you still wouldn't have noticed," the bond girl uttered. Ria exhaled deeply now that her reverie was interrupted. "I was relishing in peace and serenity, Sofia, now give that back to me," she requested, trying to pry her phone away from her best friend. "Jeez chill R... Someone is in a great mood today." Sofia said with a roll of her hazel eyes handing over the phone and turning to talk to Luke, her boyfriend of 2 years , sitting behind the pair. Sofia had met Luke in their freshman year and they had started dating shortly afterward. Luke was weirdly a lot like Ria quiet but he could be as wild as Sofia too but that was generally reserved for when he was just with their friends or when he was drunk.

"You should probably come down to the party at Duke's R. It's gonna be great", Luke said . "Nah Luke. I don't think I want to", Ria replied. "Ria, You refused to come to two parties this month alone .please just come with me! It's gonna be fun", Sofia said, faking a pouty face with pleading eyes that resembled that of a child. She had mastered the pleading face since she was 5 to lure Ria into doing things Sofia wanted her to do. It mostly had to do with people. Ria found society and small talk irksome while Sofia was a social butterfly. It made absolutely no sense to anyone how two people who were so adverse from their core could ever turn out to be best friends.

They had met at primary school when Ria helped Sofia earn a spot in a school play which she yearned to have a part in. Ria spent hours teaching her the speech for the audition and perfecting her lines. Their friendship was unique and only ever blossomed through their school life into university which may sound surreal but it's true. As adverse as they were and as annoying as Ria may find Sofia's constant enthusiasm and readiness to be, they were inseparable.

"No Sofia. You said that last time and you got drunk and threw up all over me that night . So you can go  and have fun tonight but I'm not going", Ria said, cringing at the not so good memory ."No R...You have to come. I won't get that drunk this time. I swear.", Sofia said. "You said the same thing to the last five parties we went to '',Ria mumbled. "Riaa'', Sofia groaned. Ria sighed and looked out the window once more, eyeing their approaching university gates knowing there would be no way she could get away when Sofia was so determined to get her to go and she might as well give up. "Fine, I'll go. But we would leave early." she said with resignation. "Absolutely! Luke you are driving tonight." Sofia said, turning to Luke and leaving Ria with a small smile on her pursed thin lips owing to her best friend's constant enthusiasm .The bus then came to a pause in front of the University of Cambridge . After years of dreaming of growing up and studying research, they both had managed to get into the university .She could still remember the day they got their acceptance letter and how they spent a whole day laughing giddily and telling anyone and everyone about their acceptance.

"Hey babes," Kevin called out as soon as they entered the class." Hey Kev," Sofia said, taking her usual seat beside Ria." I heard we're going on a research trip. For one whole week at that," Kevin said. "please don't tell me it's another hike up a mountain. I do not want to get stung by another bee  so soon" Ria said, sending death glares at Sofia who had a habit of snickering whenever the topic was brought up. Ria wasn't someone who liked a hike and she was weary of it since she had  ended up getting hurt anytime she tried it ."I don't know . James said he heard Miss Devin talking about that" he said motioning to his boyfriend James. "Yeah. I'm guessing it was about the trip but I didn't hear where we were going," James said." I guess we will know now," Luke said as Professor Diana Devin entered the class." She will probably tell us more about that now'' , Sofia whispered. "Something tells me she's not planning to," Ria whispered back while watching the professor presenting the slides on the screen. causing Sofia to sigh dramatically. "Alright let's begin with the class shall we..." she says and begins the lecture.

"Sofia, wake up...Sof.. she's talking about the trip." Ria nudged her awake .Sofia woke up with a start looking up and sure enough the screen was blank and the professor was addressing the class. " So it's gonna be a week-long this time and we are planning to take you out into the ocean. You are expected to conduct your research on any selected species and submit the report as soon as we are back. We would also be visiting a few islands on the way." she said."OMG. this is wonderful," Sofia said as the professor left leaving the previously sleeping class now brimming in excitement.

."I just really can't wait for it. "Sofia squealed as they entered the bus to go back home "You have said that about a hundred times today, Sof. Tone it down a little." Ria said, taking her seat ."Are you excited about anything at all Ria? Ever?" Sofia scoffed ,joining her in their usual seat. "I am excited. I just don't squeal about it all the time," Ria said, earning an eye roll from Sofia. "That's an exaggeration". "No .It's quite accurate," Luke commented smirking, earning another death glare. "ill pick you girls up at 6 alright," Luke said as they got up to leave as the bus rolled to a stop in their neighborhood. "Aww...Can't wait." Ria said with an eye roll as she exited the bus.

She walks behind Sofia who was already blabbering about the dress they would wear that night. She tenses when she sees a black range rover parked in the driveway across her house but relaxes as a boy emerges from her neighbor's house and drives it past her. "You are safe" she murmurs quietly to herself with a shaky breath and catches up with the still blabbering Sofia.

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all the reads.I And I couldnt even begin to explain how grateful I am for all the support I have received especially by @almroses who  helped me in editing this part and was absolutley phenomenal at it. Thank you everyone and please vote and comment down below about your suggestions and views on the chapter