Chapter # 25

Zariah

I couldn't understand what he meant by those words, who was he?

Was that person even alive?

Knowing Nathaniel, he would rip his bones as his first victim but no...

Who was he talking about?

And moreover, what the hell was wrong with him?

Why was he acting as if he didn't remember me? That he didn't remember 'that' day.

When he could remember my eyes then he must have remembered the day I killed our bond too.

"Did you truly forget?"

I asked while he was sleeping after his nightmare and that sudden outburst of his.

His vague talks were truly beyond my comprehension.

The next day, he woke up, pretending nothing happened last night.

That the scant heartbeat where he rested his weight on my shoulder was presumably lost in his façade to conceal it from me.

Okay, My duties as the new successor of Black Reapers were stopping me.

'What is stopping 'you'?' I thought sourly.

"Are you alright?" I asked softly, sitting up and saw him getting ready for work.

"Hmm." He hummed coldly, probably forgotten or not wanting to remember.

Twirling my fingers around the duvets, I timidly asked.

"Last night, You said-"

He cut me off in a strict voice, "I don't remember anything. I was drunk. Did I say something?" He asked, turning to me, eyes daring me to talk about it.

Curling my lips upward sadly, I nodded.

"You said my smile provides you solace." I whispered, getting up, leaving him staggered for a second.

"I must be drunk." He mumbled, shaking his head with an empty smile.

"You were." I continued to smile.

Even though it was a sentence from the past, when he said it, I wanted to comply.

Taking his waistcoat, I closed its button, whenever I looked at him, I didn't want to look elsewhere. I lost myself, I lost my purpose.

Am I that hopeless for him?

"And for it, you are going to smile?" He asked tentatively, not removing his intense eyes for me.

"No." I shook my head, looking up at him.

"I will smile because you make me." My smile grew wider but he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Lies. How can you smile for me when I have literally done nothing for you? To make you fall for me?" He asked with a frown.

Your existence is enough to make me smile.

"Why are all my actions nothing but a glib to you?" I asked softly, holding his coat, forcing him to stare back in my disappointed gaze and answer.

"Is it not? You said so yourself that you became my first ruse. So obviously not the first time you'd be breaking my trust." He asked, angrily, almost sorrowful because the fact I remembered and he didn't bothered him.

"So you do remember what happened." I whispered, chuckling dryly, taunting him that discontented him.

"Tsk,"