Chapter Nine

She couldn't concentrate on the spare tablecloths and linen napkins that she had yet to fold. Usually, Sua would be humming some merry tune as the birds twittered and the leaves rustled outside. Instead, she was far too busy nibbling on her lower lip and wondering what part of the bigger picture she was missing.

Only a few days were left before the fair ran its course in Alola. After that, the locals would crowd Tamisna Inn once more. Until then, all she had to worry about was the idea that their only guest might be more mysterious than she thought.

Like a compass needle forever pointing in one direction, Sua's eyes lingered on Sa Gin. The man sat across the empty bar, right where her friends had been sitting the night he'd arrived at the inn. He was nursing a mug of coffee, one she'd prepared with freshly ground beans, a bit of dark chocolate, and a small dash of cinnamon.

She watched as the fragrant liquid moistened Gin's lips, giving them a darker sheen. His throat bobbed while he swallowed, and Sua couldn't help but imitate the motion. Then he turned toward her, and she fumbled with the napkin she'd been holding.

Luckily, Po managed to grab the cloth with one of his limbs before it could flutter to the floor. She took it from her antula's grasp and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. She tried to compose herself before returning Gin's gaze.

"You didn't see that, did you?" she asked sheepishly.

"Not if you don't want me to," Gin replied as he set his now-empty mug down and ambled over to her. His cheeky smile and unexpected wink almost made her drop the napkin again. "That was a close shave, though."

"Not as close as that shave back at the lake," Sua said, relieved that nobody else was around to listen in on them. "I'm grateful that you haven't told anyone. I don't want Mama to worry."

Thankfully, Gin had agreed to keep that incident a secret from her mother. Sarisa would have a fit if she knew, and that wouldn't help her failing health at all. Even now, the woman was in her room napping, with Ubi keeping her company.

This month, with the traveling fair, was the only time in the year when Sarisa could rest her weary body. It seemed that as the weeks wore on, the woman tired more easily from doing the simplest tasks. Sua didn't want to further stress her mother out by revealing that she was still searching for a way to defeat Binasa.

Or that a twelve-foot-long, leather-backed, wild animal with powerful flippers had nearly eaten her.

She heard from Guyaba that it had taken fourteen town guards to drive the beast back to its original habitat, one with moving freshwater. Of course, her friend had kept quiet about her close encounter. She'd simply informed the Alolan guards that they'd spotted the creature in a place where it wasn't supposed to be.

"You can count on me to keep your secrets, Sua." Gin placed a hand on the table she was working at. He didn't pull his gaze away from her. "I'm sorry about your mother. If I'd known she was ill, I would have insisted on helping her around too."

And that's all she'd allowed Gin to know.

The rest of the story, including Binasa's existence, she would keep to herself.

"She would have hushed you out of the room as soon as she heard your offer." Sua shook out a tablecloth before spreading it over her work area and smoothing out the wrinkles. She then grabbed two corners and folded them down. "She's even prouder than I am. She'll only push your generosity onto me."

"I'd have no problem with that." Before Sua could stop him, he reached for a different cloth and repeated what she'd just done. "In fact, I'll help you right now."