Chapter Four

Nobody in Alola could deny the fact that Sua was one of the best cooks around, second only to her mother. The food she served kept the business as a whole standing. Her sauces were rather popular, especially when paired with the tender, juicy cutlets that she fried to perfection.

On any other day, Sua would have found the sauce of her heasa meat dish a little too sweet. She had added more than the usual amount of sugar, no thanks to her distracted state. The cuts were a little burned at the edges too, courtesy of the numerous times her mind had wandered to their handsome guest.

On the bright side, everything was still edible. The charred portions of meat would add a smoky flavor and texture at least. And their regulars preferred sweet foods over tart and spicy ones anyway.

Sua laid the warm cutlets on a serving dish and poured sauce over the arrangement. Then she covered the large, oval-shaped plate with a silver lid and carried it to a linen-covered table in the middle of the kitchen. Once there, she placed it in a basket attached to a pulley.

Sua reached for the bell she'd left on the counter and rang it. As soon as it tinkled, the pulley moved up, lifting the basket through a chute in the kitchen ceiling. She waited for the basket to disappear before returning to her station by the oven.

Her father had come up with the idea after more people came flocking to the inn. Sending the meals out this way was faster and easier than if she'd carried them up the winding stairs. Her parents used to take turns manning the bar and the kitchen, and the pulley would be what connected them as they worked.

At present, her mother could only do the lighter tasks involved in running Tamisna Inn. She received guests, delivered meals, and offered people her charming smile to keep them coming back for more. That left Sua to attend to the more menial tasks, such as cooking, housecleaning, making repairs, and cutting firewood.

Speaking of firewood, she noticed that the flames in the oven were big enough to keep the kitchen toasty. And since she had no meals left to cook, there was no reason for her to stay. Sua untied the apron from her waist and hung it on its wall peg.

No sooner had her hand released the apron strings when the door burst open and her friends stumbled into the room.

"What the—what in a spirit's name are you two doing here?!" Sua asked. "You know only staff are allowed in the kitchen."

Guyaba grinned, pulling her in and slinging an arm over her shoulder.

"But you're the only staff," the girl pointed out. "And we got permission from Aunt Sarisa."

Sua pinched the bridge of her nose. Her mother was far too lenient with her friends. She had no problems having them around, of course, but this did mean that it would be harder to get away from the house and—

A second arm, courtesy of Batani, hooked her by the elbow and led her away from the oven.

"She told us you were finishing up in the kitchen," the freckle-faced girl said, "so we offered to fetch you."

Sua narrowed her eyes at her friend. The gleam in Batani's irises spoke of something else. Excitement coupled with trepidation blatantly shone from those rounded orbs.

"I have a feeling that you aren't dragging me out of this kitchen for nothing," she said. Still, she allowed them to escort her through the hall and up the winding staircase. "What's going on?"

As soon as they reached the ground floor, Guyaba waved her hands toward a table along the bar's east wall.

"That's what's going on!" The girl could barely contain the glee in her voice. "I had a feeling that he'd end up staying here, but I couldn't say for sure. Not until we walked in this morning and spotted him having breakfast. I can't believe our good luck!"