- 15 -

Elmer's gut feeling was right, there was a storm and it was one of the biggest ones of the year.

Some younger newsies cowered in a corner whenever the loud thunder roared and Specs kept them company, endlessly reassuring them that they would be fine. Jack and Crutchie were inside with the rest of the newsies, seeing that sleeping on the roof wasn't an option for that night, so they sat in a circle with a few more boys and played cards games.

Romeo and Albert played sword fight with wooden sticks, shuffling around the room and nearly hitting newsies multiple times. Instead of showing a blink of empathy, they simply laughed it off and kept playing.

And there was Race, sitting on his bunk across from Jojo, hugging his knees to his chest and resting his head on them. "I messed up man, big time."

Jojo scoffed. "no kiddin'," He quipped and Race grabbed his pillow from behind him and threw it at him.

"not helpin'." He growled, in which Jojo put his hands up in defeat. "I dunno what ta do, she won't even look at me!"

"ya got'a get her attention in a way that she can't ignore ya even if she tried." Jojo suggested, throwing the pillow back at him.

"like what?"

"don't ask me, I ain't the romance-expert." To his answer, Race groaned loudly and put his face into the pillow.

"this is hopeless," He mumbled through the pillow.

Romeo caught Jojo's eye, in which he thought of an idea. "wait- wait... maybe it ain't."

Race looked up at him. "what d'ya mean?"

"ay Romeo!" Romeo and Albert paused their game and both turned to look at Jojo. "come heah- you too Albie." He demanded. After some hesitation, Romeo and Albert obeyed and sat down on either bunk with Race and Jojo.

"what's up?" Romeo asked as he sat criss crossed applesauce beside Jojo, while Albert did the same beside Race.

"say you has a crush on a girl-"

Romeo interrupted Jojo, speaking quickly in a tone of panic almost. "who told you that?"

"what?"

"what?" Romeo sang and rubbed his neck, sheepishly giggling.

"anyways, say you really like this girl an-"

"wait wait," This time Race interrupted. "I want'a know 'bout this girl Romeo's crushin' on."

"I ain't crushin' on no one!" He defended.

"stop interruptin' me!" Jojo yelled, kicking his feet up and down. "and you-" He pointed across from him at Race, who's blue eyes widened. "don't change the subject."

"is this 'bout-" Albert started.

"don't say it." Race demanded, speaking through his teeth.

"-Harley?" For the second time that night, Race groaned and dropped his face into the pillow he was still hugging.

"you like Harley!?" Romeo exclaimed with a beaming smile.