𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐 - The Sorting

The Great Hall at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was a truly breathtaking sight to behold. As I entered through the magnificent oak doors that tower over us, I was greeted with a sense of awe-inspiring grandeur.

The room was incredibly spacious, with tall stone walls adorned with intricate carvings and towering windows that flooded the room with natural light. The ceiling above was enchanted to look like the night sky, with thousands of stars twinkling and moving just like the real thing.

In the center of the room were four long tables, each one decorated with shimmering candlelight and an array of delicious food. These tables were where Hogwarts students enjoy their meals, surrounded by their fellow peers and teachers.

The room was always bustling with activity from the excited chatter of students. It truly was a magical space, and one can't help but feel a sense of wonder and excitement upon entering the Great Hall at Hogwarts.

But we, as first graders, walked into the great hall as all eyes were on us. My head was spinning. As soon as we reached the front of the hall, Dumbledore began to hold a speech, getting everyone's attention.

"Welcome, students, to another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Before we begin the feast, I have a few words to say. First, I would like to remind you that Hogwarts is your home away from home. Here, you will learn magic, make lifelong friends, and grow into confident young witches and wizards. Second, I would like to remind you that Hogwarts is not immune to danger. That is why I urge you to be vigilant, to report any suspicious activities, and to follow the rules and guidance of your professors at all times."

"Thank you, Headmaster. Now, when I call your name, please come forward and place the sorting hat on your head to be sorted into your house.", Professor McGonagall explained, as she was standing in front of us with a large chair and an old hat on top of it.

Students were called up one by one. Sometimes someone got sorted into Hufflepuff, then into Ravenclaw, then sometimes into Gryffindor or in Slytherin.

After each time, all the students applauded, especially those whose house had now been assigned a new student.

"Y/N L/N."

My heart stopped for what felt like a moment when I heard my name ring out. McGonagall looked searchingly into the crowd of children still standing in the front. Hesitantly, I looked at my new friends, who gave me an encouraging nod.

I gulped and walked up to the platform with my heart pounding and finally sat down on the chair.

McGonagall had the old hat in her hand and gave me a quick wink, as I probably looked pretty nervous.

I let my eyes wander forward again, towards Ron, Harry, and Hermione.

Slowly I felt the relatively heavy weight of the hat taking up space on my head, which was definitely heavier than I had imagined.

Suddenly, I hear the sorting hat whisper in my ear. "Hmm, interesting, very interesting. You have the potential for great things, my dear. Where to put you? Ah, I know just the place. SLYTHERIN!"

Shock. Pure shock. That's actually how I can best describe it. Both I, and the trio, that I had just met in the express, were filled with pure shock.

I simply nodded, unsure of how to react. I could feel the stares of Harry, Ron, and Hermione as I made my way down the chair and over to the Slytherin table. I mumbled a quiet 'thank you' towards McGonagall, which left her a little confused.

"I can't believe it.", Ron muttered, looking uncomfortable, Harry also looking at me confused.
The Slytherin table, at least, applauded again.

As I sat down, I felt a glare from across the table. There was sitting a platin blonde boy right in front of me, eyeing me up and down.