"Ok

"Ok. Remember the Stab movie that came out last year?"

"Oh yeah! The one the Knives Out guy directed, right?" Liv asked then turned to Chad. "I actually really like that one" 

"Of course you did. You have terrible taste" 

"I hate you" Liv glares at Mindy. 

"The point is, the hard-core Stab fans hated it. You go on 4chan and Dreadit, all they're talking about is how Stab 8 pissed on their childhoods. How they crammed in social commentary just to make it elevated. How the main character's a Mary Sue" 

"What's a Mary Sue?" Richie asked confused.

"You don't want to know" I muttered to him.

"What's wrong with elevated horror? I mean, Jordan Peels fucking rules" Amber said.

"Uh, obviously, but that's not Stab" I said.

"Yeah, real Stab movies are meta slasher whodunits, full stop"

"Come on. It's just a movie" Sam said.

"No, it's not. To some people, the original is their favorite thing in the world. The movie that made them love horror. That Mom or Dad showed them when they were ten that bonded them together. And god helps anyone who slightly fucks with that special memory. Who makes a movie they think disrespects it" Mindy said then she stood up, facing everyone. 

"It sounds like our killer is writting his own version of Stab 8, but doing it as a requeal"

"Which is?" Dewey asked confused.

"See, you can't just reboot a franchise from scratch anymore. The fans won't stand for it. Black Christmas, Child's Play, Flatliners...that shit doesn't work. But you can't just do a straight sequel, either. Uh. You got to build something new, not too new, or the internet goes bug-fucking nuts. It's got to be part of an ongoing story line, even if the story shouldn't have been ongoing in the first place. New main characters, yes" Mindy points to everyone except for Dewey. 

"But supported by and related to legacy characters" Mindy then points over to Dewey. "Not quiet a reboot, not quiet a sequal. Like the new Halloween, Saw, Terminator, Jurasstic Park, Ghostbusters... fuck, even Star Wars! It always, always goes back to the orginal" Sheheld up the DVD to Stab 1. 

"Are you telling me that I'm caught in the middle or fan-fucking-fiction?" Sam asked

"Not just the middle of it, Sam. You're the star" Mindy tells her. 

"So, not to put too fine a point on it, but according to requel rules... who's next?" Liv asked. 

"Going by the pattern, it has to be connected to someone who came before" Everyone turns to Dewey.

"I'm starting to regret coming here" Dewey said looking scared or nervous.

"Jeus, my mom was a character in one of them" Wes says worriedly. 

"No one cares about the shitty inferior sequals, Wes. You're safe" Mindy says. "With Randy as our uncle, though, you and I are probably screwed" Mindy said to her brother. 

"Wait, what?" Chad now looks worried. 

"Or you're the killer, and this whole, what, elaboreated monologue is just to cover your tracks" Richie accuses Mindy. 

Mindy scoffs. "I think it's pretty clear who the killer is at this point"

"Who?" Sam asked.

"You or Ali.. or maybe both of you, like Billy and Stu" Mindy said and my eyes widen. 

"Hold on, I know Ali, she's no killer" Dewey defends me.

"That could also be an act, the sweet and innocent teen that you knew, but as an adult, the pressure just got to her" Mindy said.

"I am not the killer" I said defending myself. 

"What?" Sam finally asked.

"It makes perfect requal sense" 

"That actually does make a lot of sense" Chad said.

"Yeah" Liv nods agreeing with the twins.

Sam turns to Dewey and he just shrugs his shoulders. Sam scoffs. 

"Fucks this" Sam grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the house and we got into the car.