chapter 22

It was now the day before the Ducks played in the J.V-Varsity showdown. Kendall and her teammates had been working nonstop. Each day after school they practiced and practiced their defensive skills, it was the only way they would have a chance at beating varsity. And boy, did Kendall want to beat varsity.

Like promised, Adam left Kendall alone. Never speaking to her except for the occasional yelling of her name to pass the puck on the ice.

It was honestly just what Kendall needed. It gave her the time to move on. Although it had helped Kendall tremendously, she couldn't help but feel saddened by not talking to the boy every day. One of her best friends was now a stranger.

For Adam, it never got easier. Granted it had only been a week, but every time he saw her he wanted to go to her. He still felt miserable. If this was supposed to be the best for him too, then why hasn't the pain gone away?

After there last practice before the JV-Varsity game, Coach Orion had made it a point to call Kendall over... along with the other person he needed in this conversation.

Kendall stood awkwardly next to Adam as their coach dismissed the rest of the team. Her head hung low, she had no idea why he needed the two of them, but whatever it was she was not looking forward to what he had to say.

"Kendall. Adam. Look I don't know what is going on between you two but the game is tomorrow and i need the duo that coach Bombay had so much trust in." He paused. Kendall felt Adam's eyes looking down at her but she remained with her eyes on Orion.

"I've seen tapes of you guys on the ice together. You both move so in sync, almost like you know what the other is thinking. I need to see that at the game tomorrow. I don't care how you get it back, but just get it back. Okay?" Kendall nodded her head in understanding, Adam doing the same beside her.

"I'll see you both tomorrow." Coach Orion eyed the two with a small smile before exiting the ice rink.

Nervousness built up inside of Kendall. It was hard to even speak a word to Adam without her heart beating out of her chest. What was she supposed to do now? How was she going to fulfill Coach Orions wishes in one night when she couldn't even talk to him.

Her body faced towards Adams, her helmet gripped tightly in one hand and her hockey stick in the other.

They stood there awkwardly, shuffling from side to side.

"Kendall?" Adam spoke, breaking the silence.

"Hmm?" She looked up, meeting his eyes. She could tell he was nervous too.

"Look we can just say we fixed it and just play like we used to." Adam suggested, wanting to flee the conversation. But also wanting to keep his promise.

He began to skate away, Kendall following after him. "He'll know we hadn't fixed it."

"How will he know?" He turned, being closer to Kendall than he expected, his heart began to beat faster.

Kendall didn't move back, so neither did he.

"He'll know when we are on the ice tomorrow and we have no coordination with each other!" Kendall replied with an obvious tone. She was always so sure of herself.

Adam hid his small smile as he realized that she was acting like her usual self. He missed that Kendall.

"Look I am just trying to keep my promise to you, okay?" Adam wanted to explain his train of thought. His thinking was because he wanted to do what was best for her. The best for him would be talking to her... being able to be with her.

"And I appreciate that Adam but.." she paused trying to find the right words. The words and thoughts she didn't know she had herself. "But maybe we can postpone the letting me go thing until after the game because i want to beat these guys... no, i have to beat these guys."