CHAPTER ONE

"Daphne! There's an incredibly large box here for you?"

My head shoots up from the script in my hands and to my assistant over by the door.

"Who's it from?" I try to dodge the firm hands of my hairstylist off my head, but their fingers stay cemented in the mess of my natural hair.

My assistant looks at the card attached to the large box and struggles to set it down on the low coffee table.

"Miles Bron."

My eyes widen and I completely shoo off my hairstylist, much to their annoyance, and stand up to gaze at the box with my own eyes. I pick up the simple card with the simple words on it. Miles Bron, XO

I flip it over and read the words on the back as well. Call Me.

I wipe my now sweaty hands on my skirt and sit back down in the chair, staring straight ahead at my reflection. My stylist continues with my hairstyle as I mentally prepare myself for the conversation I am about to have after my photoshoot.

***

The phone trills in my ear as I pace my empty trailer. I had sent all of my employees out for this certain conversation.

The line continues for a little longer before I hear the familiar sound of Miles' assistant talking.

"Miss Ledger. Pleasure to hear from you. Would you like to talk to Mr. Bron?"

Mr. Bron. That sounds so strange to come from someone's mouth.

He's the most informal billionaire I've ever met—one of the only ones actually, but that's not the point—so the sound of his name said professionally only unnerves me more.

"Yes, please. Is he there? Could you tell him I got the box?" I sit down on the stiff sofa, worried he would hear my pacing.

"One moment," His voice then leaves my ear and I pick at the edges of the large wooden box. I knock on it, trying to figure out what to do with it. It sounds hollow but I have no idea how to open it. I decide to give up on it all together and wait for Miles' instructions I'm hoping he's told me to call him for.

"Daphne, my favorite star!"

Miles' voice brings a small but nervous smile to my face.

"Miles, I haven't seen you in forever. Where have you been?" Trying to keep my composure while talking to Miles should not be this hard, but lately everything has been piling on, and this is not what I needed at the moment.

"Well that, my friend, is a surprise,"

I furrow my brows at his illusive answer, but try not to sweat too much as I know Miles is constantly doing things like this—impulsive and expensive decisions.

"Have you figured out the box yet?" His excited voice brings my attention to my growing curiosity.

"I've just got off the shoot for the posters, Miles. I barely had time to call you." I quietly laugh at my hectic schedule.

"Well, I'll give you some hints—just as long as you don't tell the others." I can hear the joking tone of his voice through his assistant's phone.

"The others?" That reminds me of The Disruptors. It's around that time of year again when Miles plans one of his extravagant getaways. "What's really inside this box, Miles?" I stand up again to circle it.

"I guess its a mystery..." I wait for him to elaborate, but when nothing is said, I grow impatient and start tapping and hitting the box to see if there was a special combination to open it.

"Now don't—don't just bang on it." His aggravated voice stops my aggressive actions and I place the phone down on the table next to the box, putting it on speakerphone.

I slide my hands across the smooth surface and try to find any sort of clue as to how I'm supposed to open this.

"Ya' know I got a guy that apprenticed with Rickey Jay to make this?" I sense a hint of smugness in his tone, but keep it to myself as I keep feeling all the sides of the box.

"That's really cool, Miles. If only I could open it so I could fully appreciate the coolness." I can't help but let some sarcasm seep into my words as I still try feeling around for something.

"Give me a second to grab the instructions my—" I cut him off as a click sounds from my box. I found a button in the middle of the top. How had I not felt that before?

The flaps of the corners open up to reveal four squares and a circle inside that are—I'm guessing here—puzzles.

"Did you just figure it out?" Miles' voice from the phone reminds me I'm not alone and I glance down at it out of habit.

"Y-yeah, I just pressed a button and the corners opened up." I lean over the box to look directly in the middle to see if it made any sense. Spoiler alert: it did not.

"Will you need more help or do you want me to go?"

Miles knew I needed more help, he just wanted me to say it.

"I still need your help, Miles. I don't know what half of these things are." It's then a thought occurs to me.

"Wait, Miles, you said other people got these boxes?" I wait for him to answer before continuing.

"Why?"

"Who was it? Was it...was it the Disruptors?" He cuts me off quickly.

"It doesn't matter. Do you want this big brain or not?" I twist my lip in contemplation.

"Okay, fine what's the next step?" I place my hands on my hips and stand back, observing the box as a whole.

"No, now you have to say it. Say "Miles, I need your brain." Say it or I won't help you." I can tell by his voice that he's smirking, but I play into his game a little longer.

"Miles, I need your brain."

"Please.''

"Please?" He likes to take control of the conversation like that all the time, he has to prove he's the smarter one in all ways or he just won't cooperate. It's easier to deal with him when thinks he's all that.

"Of course! Anything for my little star."

He continues to help me with the puzzles I struggle on or when I can't just brute force things. He then says he needs to hang up before the final part is revealed, so we say our goodbyes and hang up. I finish the final clue just like Miles says to, and out pops another card. I quickly read it before skimming down to the bottom.

"... of my murder?"