A letter to Dill's mother - To Kill A Mockingbird

To my dearest mother,

Oh mother, it's crazy here in Maycomb! There's so many different secrets this town has and is hiding and I find it incredible to how well the people here hide them. But I must say the best part of being here isn't spending time with aunt Rachel, it's in spending time with a brother and sister I've met here. The brother, Jem, is older by four years and seems to have a pretty good idea of how life around here goes on. Jean-Louise, though goes by Scout, is his younger sister and I must inform you that if it weren't for Jem having that for his name, I'd say that Jean-Louise is the real gem.

Scout is only a bit younger than me but I knew that when I first looked at her, she was the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on. She has long brown hair and wears bangs that just end above her stunning emerald green eyes. I think the best part of her and I is that I may be older, but she sure is taller. I wish you could meet her mother, I think you'd like her a lot, she even knows how to read just like me! Even though I think being able to read is off the charts cool, her teacher doesn't think so. Scout has told me many things that have happened at school already that haven't exactly been the best.

On the first day of school, Scout's teacher got real bothered by the fact she could read already. Her teacher was so mad about it that she actually whipped Scout with a ruler! Her teacher is so mean, she's constantly arguing with the kids in her class so Scout tries to stand up for them but the teacher just shuts her down. That's another thing I like about little miss Jean-Louise, she's not at all afraid to speak her mind and stick up for others. She really is a gem, ain't she? I think I'm in love..

Which reminds me, I proposed to her at the beginning of the summer and she said yes, I'm engaged to little miss Jean-Louise and I'm quite happy about it. I kissed her too, after walking her and Jem home one night. He went inside but felt like kissing her was something that needed to be done. Mother, we have so many memories already!

This is a good family for me to have gotten myself involved with. One day you'll meet them, Scout and I will be married and our family will be complete. See you soon mother.

All the love,

Dill Harris